Kitty Hawk 1/32 F5-E Tiger....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Despite all the hurdles that have been thrown in front of you it’s looking superb now Barry . The paint is excellent , the SEAC schemes always look great but are a bugger with all the masking, the clever putty seems to have worked a treat , any chance of a pic of it and where you got it from ? I’m still a blu tack user but this stuff looks quicker and better. Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Tony, it looks very similar to the AK masking putty I used recently. I got it from Scale Model Shop here.

John also sells an Ammo version but it's over twice the price for the same amount! :thinking:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony, it looks very similar to the AK masking putty I used recently. I got it from Scale Model Shop here.

John also sells an Ammo version but it's over twice the price for the same amount! :thinking:
Cheers Andy ,I’ll have a look at that , I’ve seen something on e bay called clever putty but not sure if it’s the same thing , perhaps the modelling versions are specifically lo tack , lo residue ? Don’t want to ruin a model with oily marks after removal

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry, this is looking good. The clever putty is real clever. :smiling2: Did you use just one pack for the masking? Seems like something I should get rather than using Blu-tac which hardens overtime.

Cheers,
Richard
I did use a little from a second pack as there is so much masking to do.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy ,I’ll have a look at that , I’ve seen something on e bay called clever putty but not sure if it’s the same thing , perhaps the modelling versions are specifically lo tack , lo residue ? Don’t want to ruin a model with oily marks after removal
The one I used was certainly low tack as I had trouble getting it to stick at all in the cold shed. It left no residue at all either.

Barry, apologies for butting in like that.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night I finished the touching up and then finished off with two mist coats of Mr Levelling Thinner. This last touch helps gives an even glossy finish, good for decals. Tonight though I will be doing a little detail painting and then I will start decalling. I wont be removing the masking over the metallised areas yet or from the wheel wells and cabin that will be done after the final varnish coat.

here is how she now looks.

IMG_1394.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been working on decals.

There are registration issues with the yellow and some misprinting on one of the Sundowners schemes and, I believe some minor accuracy issues elsewhere. But, apart from that these decals are excellent. No splintering and after softener treatment bed in well.

in this Kitty Hawk are preferable to Tamiya’s decals. It is no good having perfectly accurate in register decals as Tamiya provide if they are thick, resistant to strong softeners and even worse, prone to splintering.

03A25760-1680-47C3-B2E8-811A1A7EB17E.jpegB1D6FF4C-4CA3-417F-8A68-1DB872640E6E.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Despite the slight decal registration issue that is looking really good. The camo scheme has turned at perfectly and the decals are the icing on the cake.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Brilliant Barry your lucky your K/H decals turned out ok as the ones on my K/H jag just fell apart as soon as they hit water
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied washes to the exhaust and, for the first time, tried some Tamiya’s weathering products to provide heat discolouration to the metal. I am uncertain how well it looks and, perhaps, I need to put more thought into it for the next build.

I also applied streaks with AKI weathering pencils. I really like these as I find them more controllable than washes.

9FDAF9DD-AB92-490D-A091-D79577509C06.jpeg

C51F8F1E-6A5E-4F20-B87C-5ADEF14D903B.jpeg

I will tidy up the streaking a little tonight and add a little more in a few places. I may touch up the exhaust areas too a little.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Looks good to me. The subtle work on the underside looks superb.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been doing final fittings. But the very final piece decided to fight me... that prominent blade arial on top of the fuselage just does not want to fit down into its location. So far I have whittled it, thinned it, re sprayed it three times and resprayed the fuselage too twice in my efforts. Not yet succeeded and I really cannot work out why as it should be so simple! This I have done thousands of times before and, in fact, most location pins and tabs on this model have needed the same treatment but this one has not played ball. I have only a tiny bit of the location tab itself left and after respraying at the end of the session last night I will glue it into place tonight, somehow!

Here is a pic of how it looks now and I will post a completed thread when I have done my photos at the end.
E7FC999D-DA12-45BB-B92B-CC6E1F8B671F.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
All done...

I don't know what it is about that arial but it just did not fit. I ended up glueing it to the top without any location tab, after yet again having to sand and repair paintwork....

Stubborn B........r

Anyway I will post a completed thread later.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Those blade antennae can be a pain to get on. To thin to drill and pin. To thin to stand up unaided. Hope you sort it without to much hassel and lookforwards to seeing the finished photos.