Kitty Hawk 1/32 OV-10D Bronco

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Barry,
You are making a great job of a bad kit. It's builds like this that separate the modellers from the boys.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m now beginning to wonder just how bad these kits are, and if I should get one to see for myself. However, a 1:32 aeroplane is rather bigger than I’d know where to put it :sad:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night I was working on the fuselage seams. There is a lot of filling and sanding to do in order to get them into shape... I realised that I was no longer caring about the model as detail was being sanded away, not all of which can be scribed back in.

I have a rule never to start a new build until the present one is finished but, instead of thinking about and planning the next stage of the current build, as I usually do, I was thinking of the next build. Something I do not normally do until I am well into the weathering stages, days before I finish. Bear in mind my next build is a Revell kit, one of my least liked manufacturers, that really tells you something about how I regard this kit and Kitty Hawk.

I am just not enjoying this build and I build models for enjoyment.... Unless there is a break-through and I start enjoying it again tonight, then I am very likely to bin this kit. I do not have a 'shelf of doom' as I know I will not return to a build once I abandon it. It is rare for me to 'bin' a kit, I have completed over 50 since getting back into the hobby and 'binned' just 2 because I was not enjoying them, with 2 more binned when I completely messed them up, so this could be a fifth that I do not complete.....

Watch this space!!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I’m now beginning to wonder just how bad these kits are, and if I should get one to see for myself. However, a 1:32 aeroplane is rather bigger than I’d know where to put it :sad:
Hi Jakko. The Bronco is not a particularly big model even in 1/32 so I would not let size put you off. The thing is, if you are limited for space do you really want to take up that limited space and fight a badly produced kit like this?

If you think that you might want to step into 1/32 then I would strongly recommend getting a model worth building and enjoy building it. Any of Tamiya's 1/32 WW2 warbirds will provide you with a great build experience. The Mossie and the Corsair are, jointly, just about the best aircraft models that you can get, but the Mustang, Spitfire and Zero are not that far behind. The Mossie is a big one though, probably too big for you. The Corsair is the larger of the others with the Zero the smallest.

To put size into perspective
A 1/72 scale B17 has a wingspan of over 17"
A 1/32 Corsair has a wingspan of just over 15"

My tip -get a Corsair, you wont regret it and if the 15" wingspan is too much, build it with one, or even two, wings folded.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry that's a real shame but as you say if the enjoyment is not there it's time to move on. So tonight you've said you'll deside. Good luck with your decision.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The Bronco is not a particularly big model even in 1/32 so I would not let size put you off.
Looking up the dimensions, it’s about 40 cm × 40 cm, and of course since it’s a plane it’s not square but has a lot of empty space around it in which to put other models :smiling3: It would be sort of doable, I suppose, to find room for it if I stow away some older models.

The thing is, if you are limited for space do you really want to take up that limited space and fight a badly produced kit like this?
That last one is the thing, really. I’m mainly curious if I would find it as bad as you do; depending on the subject of the kit, I can actually enjoy persevering with something that’s difficult to build. I’ve always liked the looks of the OV-10 but never built a kit of one, so coupled with your problems building it, this one seems interesting.

Any of Tamiya's 1/32 WW2 warbirds will provide you with a great build experience.
Based on their 1:72 scale Corsair I built (plus tons of their military vehicles and assorted others) and your thread about the Mosquito, I wouldn’t really expect anything else :smiling3:

To put size into perspective
A 1/72 scale B17 has a wingspan of over 17"
A 1/32 Corsair has a wingspan of just over 15”
I consider a 1:72 scale four-engined bomber too big to put anywhere already … I bought the Revell 1:72 Privateer a while ago, mainly for reasons of nostalgia (I built the original Matchbox kit, that it’s a reissue of, 30 or so years ago) but one of the reasons it’s still in its box is that I don’t know where to put it when it’s finished. But it is very tempting to buy a 1:32 scale aircraft one of these days …

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looking up the dimensions, it’s about 40 cm × 40 cm, and of course since it’s a plane it’s not square but has a lot of empty space around it in which to put other models :smiling3: It would be sort of doable, I suppose, to find room for it if I stow away some older models.

That last one is the thing, really. I’m mainly curious if I would find it as bad as you do; depending on the subject of the kit, I can actually enjoy persevering with something that’s difficult to build. I’ve always liked the looks of the OV-10 but never built a kit of one, so coupled with your problems building it, this one seems interesting.

Based on their 1:72 scale Corsair I built (plus tons of their military vehicles and assorted others) and your thread about the Mosquito, I wouldn’t really expect anything else :smiling3:

I consider a 1:72 scale four-engined bomber too big to put anywhere already … I bought the Revell 1:72 Privateer a while ago, mainly for reasons of nostalgia (I built the original Matchbox kit, that it’s a reissue of, 30 or so years ago) but one of the reasons it’s still in its box is that I don’t know where to put it when it’s finished. But it is very tempting to buy a 1:32 scale aircraft one of these days …
Dont forget the wing folds on the Corsair, built that way it will fit any moderately sized shelf....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My “display” models are mostly on top of a large cabinet (± 3 m × 50 cm), so I’d have enough space in both directions to fit a 1:32 scale fighter plane with its wings spread. The main problem is that it’s already quite full :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jakko if I was you I would take notice of what barry says about this make of kit I bought a 1/48 jaguar kit of the same make an it was quite exspensive an it was terrible an I would never buy the make again just sayin to try an see you not waste your hard earned dosh but up to you on that :crying:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Barry,
Sorry to hear about your woes on this build, but if the joy has gone I would bin it and start a fresh.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There you have it, its confirmed ShittyHawk. There's a rumour that both Kitti... and Kine... use the same design team as well as produce with the same plastic. I heard about the Jaguar too and I really wanted one.

Cheers,
Richard

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well last night I sat at the bench and the first thing that caught my eye was the transparency marred by the poorly positioned sprue gate. OK it would be invisible if the model was built with all windows open but I have already ruled that out because of other issues. Otherwise it is there right in the very worse place it could be. I also looked at the fuselage and all the work needed to get that into decent shape and ended up sweeping the whole lot into the bin.

I have to say that this was the worse kit that I have ever attempted.

I had a closer look at their F5 Tiger 2 and removed several sprues from their bags for a close examination. I found the following:
A better quality plastic, not the brittle type.
Smaller sprue gates in generally better positions.
The parts seem to be better moulded.
Few ejector pin marks and none of those crude columns of plastic.
The Sprues have identifying lettters

OK, I have not checked the instructions and I cannot tell what the fit is like but maybe, just maybe, this kit might work. We will see, the build after next I think.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Stick at it Barry a modeler of your talents should be able to build the tiger with a fair bit of patience I think its a pity the av10 was so bad as to be binned as I thought I would do on my jag but it came out acceptable in the end not great but to much money's worth to bin just my opinion
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
A shame in many ways and none of us like to throw away good money but I agree totally with Scottie .......
but if the joy has gone I would bin it and start a fresh.
Onwards and upwards.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
you'll regret it Jakko a lot of dosh to waste:poop::poop::poop: like I did
They seem to go for reasonable prices on eBay, which would reduce the risk somewhat :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
1:32 scale goes for about $60 including shipping, which isn’t too bad if you ask me. Sure, it comes from China so you’ll probably have to wait a while, but it’s about three quarters to half of what the same kit would cost if I were to buy it locally.

Of course, it would be better to buy locally :smiling3:

First Name
john
It's a shame to see the curtain come down on the build but after all the issues you've encountered it's quite understandable. I nearly purchased this kit myself from a show a while ago and now feel like I had a lucky escape. I do have Kitty Hawks Sepcat Jaguar in the stash which as now filled me with trepidation. I'd also considered the Tiger 11. Having watched numerous videos of builds and reviews decided against it. Phil Florey does a good in depth review of the Tiger and although there are few minor problems it should go together with ease after your struggle with the Bronco. This thread of yours Barry as just reinforced my decision to give Kitty Hawk Kits a wide berth in the future. I hope all goes well with the Tiger and I'm sure it will. Good luck.
Thanks John