Klear: The Mother Load

S

sprayman

It would seem a buddy of mine in London has found me 3 boxes of Klear 36 bottles in total, nice I thought at last the motherload and never have to worry again, okay here is the question, the photo shows a sample bottle, but to me it looks old, now does Klear go off, the bottle looks nothing like the stuff we love and use. I dont mind paying the £25 for the stuff and £14.99 for him to post it up.So what do you guys think, I have already said yes to it and it will get posted on monday, suppose it may have to be tested first, but would love to know if this stuff decays over time.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think the only people that can give a qualified reply to that one are messrs Johnson and Johnson. I am sure if you contact them you will get some form of advise.

So the next question. how much and whats your e-bay handle? LOL.

Something of a money machine if its still good!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

When Klear goes off, it tends to thicken and go cloudy from what I have heard. This could just be older labelling on the same stuff, if it has been stored in boxes and out of extremes of temperature, it could be just fine. Someone posted a link to a page covering all versions of Klear somewhere, if you can find it, you may identify it from there

M

m1ks

That's not the same bottle as we used to get in the supermarkets, however, the manufacturers right and the brands right.

As far as longevity, my last bottle sat under the kitchen sink until I got back into the whole modelling thing and I can verify it is at least 7 or 8 years old and performs exaclty as you'd expect it to.

Are you selling any or just stockpiling them to use as barter come the apocolypse :smiling3:

Go on, how much for a bottle?

S

sprayman

Thanks for the input guys,Nice to know about the bottle under your sink M1ks, just going to have to test the stuff and post up the pics and results. I once sold something on Evil Bay, but never again, by the time evil and paypal have taken a bite its not worth doing. I wont be selling it, never my intention, but I think I would swap stuff or trade the stuff.As sonn as it arrives I will airbrush some and get the results to you.

Thanks again everyone for the info.

Ray

M

m1ks

Well i'd be interested in bartering a bottle with you, (just the one, i'm not greedy, one bottle lasts for ages after all as I only use it for glossing large models prior to decalling now), i've got my old part full one and a bottle of the new stuff, (which smells lovely), but it's not quite the same and is quite opaque in the bottle.

I can't see you having a problem with it as said, mines ancient but works fine.

M

msm2

The SWMBO has said she can not be traded for a bottle!!!!!.

M

msm2

Johnson Klear Floor polish (original) 3 bottles on eBay (end time 02-Oct-10 19:09:15 BST)

OTT I think.

Tony..

M

m1ks

\ said:
The SWMBO has said she can not be traded for a bottle!!!!!.
Women, they just don't understand do they? How about if you asked for 2 bottles maybe?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got three unopened bottles which are kept in the proverbial cool dry (and darkish) place and they look the same as when they were put there several years ago. I'm nearing the end of the bottle that I've been using for at least four years and that has thickened very slightly and has also yellowed very slightly. If I've interpreted the numbers on the bottle correctly it is from a 2004 batch. It still works okay,infact I've been sloshing it all over that 21st Century Bf109.

I'll bet a penny to a pound that your "mother lode" will be fine.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Thanks for the info Stona, starting to feel a bit more confident about the batch......WHAT....£10 a bottle on ebay....are people mad, even if I had no Klear left Damned if I would pay a tenner a bottle.

M

m1ks

It's insane isn't it, i'm not sure who buys these?

The whole point of using this stuff when it first came to light was that it was a huge bottle and cheap, I can get Hannants Xtracrylix gloss varnish for something like £3 for about 300ml if I remember correctly so if it's a price for price comparison well, there is none.

The new stuff also, as said does work the same but for the opaqueness which can pool and is only £3ish a bottle.

S

sprayman

Since it was discovered for the model world, i would have thought Johnsons would have noticed their sales increase.So why change the formula, they could have made thousands of bottles and just sold it through their website......strange how the corporate world works.

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Guys, have just returned to this site after my pc went skywards and this was the first thread that took my interest ! I've had a bottle (same label) for well over ten years and although its gone a bit foggy it still works fine. Its had various extremes of temperature due to house moves, so I would just give the bottle a shake ,let it sit a while then use it.

S

sprayman

Parcel force just dropped off the 3 boxes, will get some tests done and show the resuts....fingers crossed.

R

RickBrown

Chaps

A quick "Heads Up", if you live in Hereford then I have found a shop that had one original Klear on the shelf. The bottle itself was very dusty and slightly not clear any more but the contents are fine and clear, I bought two of the three the chap had (I'm not greedy, my Brother-in law will get my spare bottle). The shop is, wait for it, drum roll etc:

"Lock Stock and Barrel" on St Owen's street. Its a tiny old fashioned hardware store with a real character running it. If you go in the shop you wont find it, you'll have to ask. And no, that's the last he has so don't ask!

I think it was £5.25.

Good luck anyone who wants it!

Rick.

BTW, no, I cant pop in and get it / post it for you! l live miles away from the place but have to go there once in a while for work.

Last edited: