Komatsu G40 bulldozer, Tamiya 1/48

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

This was a pretty quick build, 3 days altogether, but was great fun and gave me a chance to practice some techniques. It's pretty much OOB but I added a few little extras from the spares box.

I've placed it on a simple base made from a chunk of polystyrene coated in a gloopy mix of PVA, tile grout & sand. After painting in AK dark sand I added a "base ready" mixture from Geek Gaming - Desert sand & stone. The cleared area was dusted with a pigment mixture I'd made up, then the same mix used for the pigment work on the 'dozer.

70vkW46.jpg

YNlZWWz.jpg

zkQiXOE.jpg

sDqtkCy.jpg

eFcQYid.jpg

LZFwS03.jpg

cyrn6p2.jpg

CbKXmCL.jpg

jYWq2K7.jpg

7w4NFoH.jpg

03tGVli.jpg

aeUFxUr.jpg

Thank you to all that followed along with the build and gave me some great comments, I hope you like the final result.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
A great result and oh so quick. Love the weathering and the track marks left behind.
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's a cracking wee display Andy, well done that man.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

I was enjoying it so much Jim I hardly came out of the shed for 3 days :smiling5:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Super finishes. Great base. PaulE

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great work Andy, great subject , must have been a beast in real life the driver though in scale im sure looks dwarfed by the whole thing. Three days well spent something a little diffrent is so much more absorbing. Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nicely done Andy.........Looks the part! Rick H

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Simple but effective, looks like he’s bulldozing some Pacific island :smiling3:

BTW, anyone else notice it says “KOMATU” at the top of the grille? I always thought the brand was Komatsu, so I went back to your build thread and checked the box art, where the painting has the same name but the explanatory text says “Komatsu” … Odd.

Edit: I then did a little further digging, and it is correct: the real thing also lacked the S. Even odder :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work as always Andy.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again guys.

Jakko, I did have a bit of a look into it but couldn't find anything concrete. I guessed it was something to do with the way they show the possessive of the name, but could be wrong. I saw it written as Komatu's, Komatsu, and the company logo is a stylised version of Komat'su.

I gave up pondering in the end and just built the thing :smiling5:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A cracking result Andy. Very effective use of your weathering skills. Nice to see it on the base. Beautiful work all round my friend

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job andy , i do love a bit of construction machinery . The chipping effects are perfect , all too often this can be a bit overdone but youve nailed it in my eyes . Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, Tony and Dave.

I'm pleased with how the chipping turned out too. I found looking at some real life pictures helped a lot. Basically what you guys on here have been telling me all along! :smiling2: