KR1000F LAWSON conversion

T

treyzx10r

I got this old kit off e-bay cheap due to the decals being yellowed and cracked so it gave me an excuse to do a conversion and order some Lawson decals .I will have to do some minor fairing and misc mods to pull it off but I like a challenge.

here is the kit box

and the real deal but the numbers will be 11 for Eddie Lawson

T

treyzx10r

I got started on the engine unfortunately a lot of kits have 'street' version parts to save money on molds as is the case with the pulse cover

here are the basic engine components

the pulse cover supplied is not correct

I sanded down the unwanted details and used a donor cover from my misc parts bin

then I cleaned up the mating surfaces

bonded together ,small washer added for the access plug ,drilled the holes out for the retaining screws and sprayed

inked and ready for mounting

T

treyzx10r

I filled in the empty space under the starter and added some details

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

I then sprayed the side covers

after test fitting

got them in place

T

treyzx10r

thanks fellas, I started the oil cooling system and the smooth tubing supplied just was'nt going to give the braided line look so I used one of my Wifes hair bands.

I sprayed it silver leaf and used the supllied tubing for the compression bands

after painting the couplings its ready

T

treyzx10r

on to the carbs now that removing the chrone is'nt such a pain(thanks to the tips from the forum!)

chrome gone!

paint and assembly

mounted up

F

Fenlander

That engine looks terrific. love the tip for the braided tubing, will be looking at the oddest places in ASDA again for supplies of the stuff lol. I always get some funny looks looking at the makeup stuff for tweezers, brushes, clippers and nail files. Just wish I had a kit with loads of chrome on it just so I could strip it lol.

T

treyzx10r

thanks Graham no need to go to the store I just raid my Wifes makeup bag lol

B

bikerbart

Enjoying seeing this come together Trey, cracking job so far mate :smiling:

T

treyzx10r

the rear shock supplied with the kit was the 'exposed spring' street version so I modded the basic structure via a drinking straw cut down to size and ca glued in place(crude but effective)

T

treyzx10r

I finally solved the rim delima. The three spoke supplied are authentic but not for the year I wanted to build. I plundered an unbuilt Ducati kit and found the 5 spoke lester rims I needed. The fit was close on the front just had to shave a bit off the hub centers. The rear required a bit of surgery so I made a plug for the hub and redrilled it to the smaller opening required

T

treyzx10r

scratch built the clutch cable adjustment assembly from some left over parts

and the modded shock mounted up along with the clutch adjuster ,also took the time to fix some faux bolt heads over the flat head screws that hold the wheel axle and swing arm in place

T

treyzx10r

made throttle cables from small gauge wire instead of the tubing supplied in the kit and finished up a lot of the other plumbing

here they are in place

T

treyzx10r

started the body work had to do some surgery on the upper

also got some good news in the mail the decals came in

T

treyzx10r

finished it up tonight hope its worthy

here sans body work

and all the bits on

T

treyzx10r