Kresten does RAAF NO 75 Squadron

K

Kressy13

Hi all,

Have been looking at a few squadrons to do for this SIG and have come down to NO 75 squadron. Ill give a link to a brief history of the squadron for those interested and to show what we can do downunder. lol.

RAAF Museum: Royal Australian Air Force: No 75 Squadron

Well for this i am going to go from the first aircraft the squadron used in battle to their current aircraft. To begin with i will be making a P-40E. Have found the appropriate decal set and have ordered a Hasegawa P-40E to do this. Now to what they are using at the moment. The F/A-18 Hornet. Big jump, i know. To do this i have the Hobbyboss F/A-18A waiting to go and have the decal set for it also.

Both these kits have great reviews about them, hope they are correct. Well it looks like i have set myself a bit of work but thats what we do it for. All feedback welcome.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 31491

View attachment 31492

View attachment 31493

View attachment 31494

P-40 decals.jpg

F-18 decals.jpg

F-18.jpg

P-40E.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It just so happens I made one of the RAAF Kittyhawks as part of a diorama. A rare excursion into both dioramas and 1/72 scale. I based the diorama somewhat loosely on this.

The downed Kittyhawk is one of your squadron mates. Here's my effort.

And the not very good Airfix Kittyhawk.

I know little about these aircraft but had a lot of help from a chap called Terry McGrady who knows a lot about them and the RAAF. The odd camouflage pattern on the nose of mine is due to the hasty overpainting of a shark mouth. This aircraft had previously served withh 112 Sqn.

All those profiles seem to give a green colour behind the plexiglass panel at the rear of the cockpit. ALL the experts,including Terry,were adamant that this area should be painted in the camouflage colour. The plexiglass gives the impression of different colours in certain light and the covered area weathered differently. For example it would not get polished with the rest of the aircraft if this was done.

It looks like a great project,I shall certainly look forward to the results.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Kresten! I will look forward to this. Two very different aircraft indeed!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Thanks guys. Thats a great little dio you got their steve. Great work.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice choice of aircraft Kresten, good to see you are in on this build.

Nice dio. from Steve too, I'd forgotten it, so it is nice to see it again.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good to see you back and doing something sensible. Can't be wasting all your time working!!!!

Tub looks good.

Ian M