KTS350's OV-10 Bronco

K

kts350

Got this model the other week should fit in perfectly with this GB, have to go to my uncles funeral this week up in the country and taking my kids with me so won't post any pics of my model til I get back. Need all the room I can get on my phone for pics as while we are up in the country have to my kids around and show them where I grew up.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry for you loss.

Feel free to post a few photos of you stomping grounds as a lad, when you post the box top and sprue shoots.

Ian M

K

kts350

Started to build the Bronco today I heard this model is a bit of a problem and yes it is I've put the fuselage together and good thing I bought sort filler as I'm going to need i will have to take my time over this one as it's not going back together like the last model I built.

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

Wayne condolences on your loss. I've got this kit in the stash so I'm anxious to see how bad the fit is ,heard bad things about it as well. Good luck ,eagerly awaiting the next update,cheers Trey

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Sorry to hear about your loss Wayne. Haven't seen a Bronco built yet. I'll follow this with interest.

Tony.

K

kts350

thanks for that guys really appreciate it,

Wasn't going to do any work on this until the weekend, I was off work for 9 weeks with a knee injury it's not fully healed but I'm back at work looks like I'm taking the day off tomorrow as when I got home tonight from work my knee was badly swollen so looks like will get some work done on it tomorrow will post some more progress pics.

K

kts350

not alot of parts thank but this model is a pain, had to trim a bit of one of the landing gear because it was too long the sprues are crappy to put it nicely some of them are small others are think so i have divots that will need filling the wing halves didn't line up 100% so I will need to sand down the edges. The wheels are rubbish but after some sanding might look doable.

My biggest pev the props are not in one piece you have to mount the blades to cone on the front and of course I am missing one so I will racking my brain trying to find something to substitute or look at evilbay and see if I can buy some props and modify them to fit the model.

This is not going to be a perfect model once put together specially given my level of skill but I think I can make it look semi decent.

T

treyzx10r

Wayne sorry to hear about the ill fit and missing props blade. Hearing this I might do mine gear up with some 'prop blurs' and hang it!

K

kts350

\ said:
Wayne sorry to hear about the ill fit and missing props blade. Hearing this I might do mine gear up with some 'prop blurs' and hang it!
I'd probably hang mine as well but i've started a vietnam airbase dio and want to park it next to the skyraider i just did and the huey i'm doing next. If I can't find anything to replace the missing prop part I might do it as battle damaged.

K

kts350

Ok i've done some reading about this kit and found it is greatly inaccurate and paragon designs once did a full conversion kit to fix it up but it is now discontinued and extremely hard to find and the ones I did find were worth roughly 4 times what I paid for the model so that's not going to be an option.

So I'm just going to do my best to clean up the model and make it look semi decent given my limited skills.

When I was looking through the box i realised I have all the prop blades so I'm just missing a spinner, my idea is to buy a set of resin spinners that look sort of close to replace the original ones I mean the model is already inaccurate so having different spinners wont make much difference to me and at least it will have 2 props.

I've changed my idea on the paint scheme again but that could change again before I paint it have pics of 6 different schemes and every I change my mind.

Anyway enough waffling here's so more pics basically showing so more of the imperfections and what the spinner looks like.

showing one of the gaps

big imperfection here caused by the sprue will have to fill it for sure

Lines up well doesn't it more sanding

The missing spinner looks like this

Last edited:
K

kts350

Ok i've done some reading about this kit and found it is greatly inaccurate and paragon designs once did a full conversion kit to fix it up but it is now discontinued and extremely hard to find and the ones I did find were worth roughly 4 times what I paid for the model so that's not going to be an option.

So I'm just going to do my best to clean up the model and make it look semi decent given my limited skills.

When I was looking through the box i realised I have all the prop blades so I'm just missing a spinner, my idea is to buy a set of resin spinners that look sort of close to replace the original ones I mean the model is already inaccurate so having different spinners wont make much difference to me and at least it will have 2 props.

I've changed my idea on the paint scheme again but that could change again before I paint it have pics of 6 different schemes and every I change my mind.

Anyway enough waffling here's so more pics basically showing so more of the imperfections and what the spinner looks like.

T

treyzx10r

Yes the Paragon fix is pricey and considering the cost of the kit hardly worth it! The resin replacement option for the spinner sounds great go for it! Theres a really cool solid black scheme out there too that might look sharp.

K

kts350

\ said:
Yes the Paragon fix is pricey and considering the cost of the kit hardly worth it! The resin replacement option for the spinner sounds great go for it! Theres a really cool solid black scheme out there too that might look sharp.
The Solid black one of the ones I'm tossing up doing.

K

kts350

Did some test fitting last weekend and took some pics, need to put a bit more putty down and sand it then I'll glue it together then fill the parts of the body that don't line up. The plastic is thin and crapy I've already snapped the nose gear so I will have to work out how to fix it don't know if just gluing it back together will be enough since it sits on the nose might need to find a way to strengthen it up. Got tomorrow off work so planning and getting a lot of work done on it.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p58/kts350/model%20planes/th_20121029_164355.jpg[/img]"]

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p58/kts350/model%20planes/th_20121029_164422.jpg[/img]"]

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p58/kts350/model%20planes/th_20121029_164459.jpg[/img]"]

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Well, considering all the problems you've mentioned, it certainly looks like a Bronco.

Good luck with the front undercarriage leg, and keep up the good work.

Tony.

P.S. When I tried to look closer at your photos I kept getting a "server not found" message ? are they still on photobucket ?

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
They way i fix broken undercarriage legs is to drill into both pieces and then join them together using a cut down pin and Superglue.

K

kts350

\ said:
Well, considering all the problems you've mentioned, it certainly looks like a Bronco.Good luck with the front undercarriage leg, and keep up the good work.

Tony.

P.S. When I tried to look closer at your photos I kept getting a "server not found" message ? are they still on photobucket ?
they should be on there still? weird dont wanna post the full size pic as they are big

K

kts350

\ said:
They way i fix broken undercarriage legs is to drill into both pieces and then join them together using a cut down pin and Superglue.
Thanks mate will try that

K

kts350

Still need to sand back some of the filler, then start painting.. The last couple of months really sucks for our family one of my aunties died last night so no modling for the next couple days I'm hoping to get this finished on time.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to hear about your Aunty Family comes first. Iv'e had a bad year so far what with the wifes brain tumor and my sons op on his leg The models will wait hope all goes well from now on and best wishes