KV 1 meets a little Panzer.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
JR, What material did you use for the swimming hole? It gives the illusion of depth but does not look that deep. Great result.
Cheers, Rick H.
Hi Rick, thanks, all I did was create a hole in the ply, If you look at the earlier photos you will see what I did . The method is simple
Add dark paints and you get a sence of depth.

John .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
John , that's looking really great! I hope you don't go too mad with the snow -it would be a shame to cover it all up. I especially like the way you show how the panzer has broken the river banks and slid down the mud into the water. :thumb2:
After my own adventures with water I was looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve, but now I see it's going to be ice - of course, doh!
Somehow I've missed the info- what is the ice stuff you're planning to use?
cheers
Neil

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John , that's looking really great! I hope you don't go too mad with the snow -it would be a shame to cover it all up. I especially like the way you show how the panzer has broken the river banks and slid down the mud into the water. :thumb2:
After my own adventures with water I was looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve, but now I see it's going to be ice - of course, doh!
Somehow I've missed the info- what is the ice stuff you're planning to use?
cheers
Neil
Hi Neil, thank you for your kind comments. The ice and snow are from Precision Ice and Snow . The ice is a broken version, though I have ordered some plain ice as well . All bought from John at the shop.
John .

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking great John.:thumb2:
Thanks Fernando, don;t those track you got me make it :thumb2:.
Very nice John, looking good!!
Bob... thank you very much.

Nothing happening at the moment on the dio, once the tanks and figures are done and "welded " to the base the snow will arrive. Neil has asked earlier if was going to cover the whole dio, well I think it need a fair covering as the ice would have meant there was ground frost, but I still want to show the water where the ice has just broken. Don't think it would take long in those low temperatures to refreeze
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Something has happened, didn't think it would have been this soon.
The KV1 has been glued down along with a start on the ice and water. i've pinned some thin section of wood to the edges and taped them on. Smearing the inside face with vaseline to stop the acrylic from sticking, well that's the plan.
Started with applying a coat of the water along the outside edge. Up to now after 6 hrs there has been no leakage.

Easy stuff to use, and the best part is acrylic, so no fumes and easy clean up. Mix wise nothing could be more simple 50/50 . Allowing of course a good 24 hrs plus to dry.
Thinking of how this is going to progress I need to put the ice on in two stages , the unbroken sheet first towards the front and side edges leaving the Panzer surrounded by the broken along with the water. Oce this is done the snow can be applied.
The next step will be the sheet ice.
Meanwhile the figures continue.

Comments welcome with any hints, or course as Steve is on holiday I don't:crying::smiling2::smiling2: expect any abuse about my oil work.
John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon John,
Great to see more progress. I keep seeing little bits here and there and hadn’t really realised what was going on...I get it now!
I see your enjoying yourself and it’s coming along nicely:thumb2: can’t wait to see how the ice and snow will look:smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking real good.
Afternoon John,
Great to see more progress. I keep seeing little bits here and there and hadn’t really realised what was going on...I get it now!
I see your enjoying yourself and it’s coming along nicely:thumb2: can’t wait to see how the ice and snow will look:smiling4:
Hi Ralph and Si , thanks for looking in . As for the ice I'm having a good think of the best way for the it still :surprised::smiling3:
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Base is coming on really well mate. Looking forward to seeing the snow and ice
Thanks Steve.
and here we have the ice.
First the all important resin, this version comes with a brownish look another is green and the third type clear. In any case an acrylic colour can be added to enhance the depth of colour.
Here is what I have used to increase the colour.

The application method I chose was by pippet, your not in this case going to use a great deal as on the base under the ice sheet.

It flows very slowly in fact not much went into the hole on the left, that took two of those plastic measuring shots.
Below is the ice sheet just pressed lightly on top of the water

Each time I made a fresh batch I used clean tools.
Had to work quite quickly to get the ice under the Panzer and get the additional water in .
I wanted the effect of the ice to look as the weight of the Panzer had pushed the ice up onto the left hand side, breaking it like that as it would have been the least distance for for the ice to remain intact .

After the last 2 amounts of mix were poured I used some weights to push the front end into the hole. and let the resin take hold.
:smiling2:
I checked to day and the resin is setting well as I had permission granted by Management to bring the dio into the house.Going to leave those weights on for a day or so more
Just remembered do I need the spray the tanks in acrylic varnish again , f so I will wait until the aerails arrive from Super Hobby.

That's it, while this dries I shall do some more work to the figures, still have the weapons and kit to paint fully. Then when they are fitted as well a mighty storm is going to blow from the rear ! Quite a common occurrence here at Race Towers :smiling2::smiling2: .
As always comments and hints excepted, and of course abuse from sections of the Rabble.
Thanks .
John.