KV 1 meets a little Panzer.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That is really looking excellent. How did you cut the ice sheet? I found it very hard to cut. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW! I don't have words. PaulE
Hi John
That is really looking excellent. How did you cut the ice sheet? I found it very hard to cut. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
Jim
Thanks Jim, as for cutting, what a game,!! found this out , I marked on the reverse side with the film the out line that I wanted to have . Easy up to this point, then using a scaple carefully followed the marked line. I'd have to do this several times before you could press from the front face and a crack line would appear. From the front you could see the crack line , plus a few more ! , Turning the sheet upside down to give the film side face up I cut through the film, now this gave a fairly good out line to the marked one. Taking a pair of snips and putting a pair of eyes protectors on I started to nibble the marked edge. Ok it's not a good as their method of using a dimond cutter, but for the ice pattern I wanted it worked . To give those pieces removed a more shattered look I tapped it with the back of a hacksaw, not too hard and from the front face. From the from gave the right looking break, and I kept all the small pieces to fill in . At times I had to remove the backing film with the scaple around the edges . HTH .
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I'm glad I am not alone in having trouble. I never thought of nibbling back to a scored line. I used a cutting disc in my mini drill but it was so slow going. I could have cut a line and then snapped back to the line rather than cutting all the way.
Still the effect in the end is excellent.
Well done for getting no leaks with the water. I hope the Vaseline works - another thing I didn't do :sad:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work mate. The ice is so realistic and has worked the way you wanted it to. Keep it comin mate. Its turning into something special

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Coming along very nicely Mr Race, quite an effective looking product system!

Hoping you’ll light a scented candle after this mighty storm from the rear :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm not sure Dude 2, but in the first pic, shouldn't the olive go in the martini on the right??? I thought we had this discussion about drinking during the dio before...….

But seriously, you do come up with some great ideas and even better when they are carried out. I get chills looking at the ice buddy and I have my coat on too. You go Sir!!!

Prost
Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
I'm glad I am not alone in having trouble. I never thought of nibbling back to a scored line. I used a cutting disc in my mini drill but it was so slow going. I could have cut a line and then snapped back to the line rather than cutting all the way.
Still the effect in the end is excellent.
Well done for getting no leaks with the water. I hope the Vaseline works - another thing I didn't do :sad:
Jim
Jim..thank yoy.. Tonight we did notice a slight leak in the top right corner, but it appears to have stopped as the resin has started to harden . Hadn't got any silicon and used what came to mind . On their video using a diamond bit didn't look any quicker. Next time I will prepare better !
Terrific work mate. The ice is so realistic and has worked the way you wanted it to. Keep it comin mate. Its turning into something special
Thank you Steve.
Coming along very nicely Mr Race, quite an effective looking product system!

Hoping you’ll light a scented candle after this mighty storm from the rear :smiling5:
Si have you been talking again to Christine ! I am seriously thinking of forming an olympic musical farting team , as you get older the rear end seems to have a mind of it's own , there is no volume control either. Get up and you might, sit down and you will. Mixed company is a nightmare burrrp!
I'm not sure Dude 2, but in the first pic, shouldn't the olive go in the martini on the right??? I thought we had this discussion about drinking during the dio before...….

But seriously, you do come up with some great ideas and even better when they are carried out. I get chills looking at the ice buddy and I have my coat on too. You go Sir!!!

Prost
Dude 1

Well spotter Dude1, That was indeed some paint waiting to be mixed. The good thing it doesn't seem to mix completely so you get some strands of the colour, this looks like trails of weeds. Yes no doubt cold enough for you out there on your Harley, thanks buddy keep warm .
John .

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Coming together nicely John, the broken ice looks very good indeed, the reeds look just right for winter.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming together nicely John, the broken ice looks very good indeed, the reeds look just right for winter.
Thank you Graeme. Decided not to have any reed heads this time of year, so left them off.

You are the Steve Jones of dioramas JR
Lee....... Thanks buddy that is quite a complement :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
John
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening all , its been rather slow as some things seem to take forever to dry with an oil wash.Having not to touch anything drove me mad, I just wanted to get on with the snow. New aerial fitted, have to admit it does appear better.
As you will see figures painted and on, another coat of satin varnish drying from earlier so tomorrow the snow doth come !

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

Any thing you think I've missed please shout out tonight !

Thanks for following.
John, about to put coat hat and gloves on !

Attachments

• IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat work with the water and ice John, hope you don’t cover it up with too much snow.:tongue-out3:

With tanks and figs on, the dio is looking pretty complete and nice positioning of the whole lot.:smiling::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Fernando and Paul, its great to have any feed back but when others enjoy it its even better.
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, looking mighty fine! Looking forward to the snow but only on your diorama. I've had enough snow to last till next winter!!:tongue-out2:
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have just cracked my jaw again!! This really is jaw dropping stuff. The figures add soooo much interest and depth to the build. Now let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!! Terrific work mate