Kyushu J7W1 Shinden ' Magnificent Lightning' in 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hello all, may i first apologise to anyone whos posts i might have missed this last month or so, ive been very preoccupied visiting relatives in hospital, so havent been on the forum much (or at the bench either!). Despite this i have just managed to squeeze in this one, the Hasegawa 1/72 Kyushu j7w1 Shinden "magnificent lightning". Like all modern hasegawa kits it went together lovely ,needing no filler. Anyways here are the pics, as usual comments /criticisms welcome. cheers tony :plane:

View attachment 33283

View attachment 33284

View attachment 33285

View attachment 33286

View attachment 33287

View attachment 33288

View attachment 33289

P1090080 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1090072 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1090074 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_0940 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1090073 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_0941 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1090075 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, Having recently spent 5 Months visiting Hospitals I know what you are going through. Remember to pace yourself, as it wears you out eventually.

Whats this a 1/72 is the old sewer rats eyes fading?, we are so used to your 1/144 masterpieces. Seriously though a lovely clean build beautifully painted as your normal standard. Wonder how many pilots bent the front undercarriage leg - looks really fragile. Cheers Derek

p.s. *****

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely build Tony. What an amazing looking aircraft,I wonder how it would have performed if they'd got it into service against the U.S.bombers.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Lovely build Tony. What an amazing looking aircraft,I wonder how it would have performed if they'd got it into service against the U.S.bombers.Cheers

Steve
With a top speed approaching 470 mph and four 30mm cannon in the nose, i imagine it would have been a b29's worst nightmare,steve. Although by the late stages of the war the number of experienced japanese pilots was very small ,so the rookies would no doubt have crashed most of them on landing ,especially, as derek noted,with the long front undercarriage leg,it must have been a tricky touchdown!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Tony, what a strange looking bird.

That's some firepower packed into the nose too!

Great stuff.

I hope everything is O.K. with you and yours, mate.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Cracking build Tony, what a strange looking bird.That's some firepower packed into the nose too!

Great stuff.

I hope everything is O.K. with you and yours, mate.

Ron
Cheers ron, yeah were all just plodding along thanks. Its a wicked looking beastie isnt it? Kind of like a tailless KI 44 'tojo' flying backwards !!! I read somewhere that Bert Rutan saw one of the 2 completed aircraft that was captured by US troops when it was brought to the states for evaluation,and it gave him ideas that he later used in his own designs for canard layout light aircraft. cheers bud , tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Tony, a well presented model. I imagine that technically the aircraft was brilliant - well it must have been because with looks like that ......................dear me !!

Regards

Colin M....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks colin, as far as the technical side of things go,it was a very advanced design,and i think it was planned to make a later version powered by a turbojet.If they had been able to make a powerful enough jet,that would have been a superb intercepter!! Cheers tony P.S. Steve- Zoukei Mura make a 1/32 one ,so once youve done the ta 152 ,hows about giving it a go!!LOL

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
P.S. Steve- Zoukei Mura make a 1/32 one ,so once youve done the ta 152 ,hows about giving it a go!!LOL
Don't give me daft ideas Tony.I've rarely built a japanese aircraft but I would be interested in one of these. A 1/32 version would look good on my shelves. The trouble is by the time you've imported a Z-M kit from Japan and paid all the customs and handling charges they are quite pricey. I might have to sell a kidney....or the wife lol.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Compromise is the name of the game steve-- sell one of the wifes kidneys!!!! LOL!! Seriously though, ive never built a japanese ww2 plane either,until this one, and now ive got the bug and bought another 4 , a couple of 1/48 tamiya mitsubishi ki46 'dinahs', a 1/72 fujimi aichi 'grace' and a 1/48 tamiya mitsubishi raiden 'jack' . All this came about because i was so impressed with the 1/48 tamiya mosquito im doing at the mo, my first tamiya aircraft believe it or not! I decided to get the dinah because its an aircraft ive always liked and i was keen to get another tamiya kit, the rest just sort of followed on! Actually i tell a lie---- i HAVE done a ww2 japanese aircaft ,remember the captured p40 in jap markings? i suppose that counts! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No that doesn't count! It's still a P-40. I do remember it,a very nice job you did too. I made a Zero years ago. It was 1/32 and I don't remember which kit. I am pretty sure I finished it in the wrong colours though. I really no very little about Japanese aircraft and I can't afford another line of research. I already spend more on Luftwaffe related books than I do on models.

Sounds like you've got a few Japanese subjects to get through.

Cheers

Steve