L-18c and Storch formo

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi.

I think some of you might find these pix interesting.

It is of my L-18c and a mate's 3/4 size Fiesler Storch in a formo during a recent bush pilot airshow.

I am leading and he was no more than 30' away most of the time.You might be surprized how difficult it is to fly a slow formation in gusty windand try to make it look smooth.

You will notice that I have 15 deg. flap down inorder not to fly away from him at only 65 mph!

Theuns

View attachment 19810

View attachment 19811

IMG_0243.jpg

img_4887_std.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
fantastic pics,theuns , you and your friends planes look superb ,interesting to note how small and petite the storch looks next to your cub ,thanks for sharing your pics , cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice Theuns, loveing your Super Cub sir.

Have fun, John

T

T. van Vuuren

You'll be surprized just hou big the real storch is if this is a 3/4 version.The wingspan and fuse length is about the same as the L-18 at 35'

We intended the flypast as a tribute to the WW2 start anuversery representing the big role players, but sadly at the last moment the Tiger moth in RAF yellow plus roundels had mechanical problems and couldn't join.

It would have been an amazing pic to see!

Theuns

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What lovely pictures and the scenery is stunning,looks like the Marabou Stork you have there.

T

T. van Vuuren

Indeed it is the Marabou storch that was/is made here in SA.

A couple of them flying on the highveld near Johannesburg.I won't be going there in the L-18, with 4 Storches to one L-18. the odds are not in my favour!

Also just goes to show how draggy the Storch is, he is flying on a 150hp Lycoming and battles to maintain 80mph.I have a 115 hp Lyc up front and cruise at 87mph no worries.

Granted the storch stalls at 32 mph and me at 40mph, but I would rather have the extra speed.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is a pic of the storch in the Lowveld.The pic was snaped by my backseater, I was slightly busy at the time avoiding powerlines and such.

With the mountain in the background it looks like the storch is over Italy or Yougoslavia during the summer of 1943

Theuns

View attachment 19865

IMG_0234.jpg