Lab54 1/16 Scottish Laird XIII Century

F

Fenlander

This has been a nice little bust to paint. A couple of new things for me especially the ‘mock tartan’ have challenged me because my freehand painting is not good. Still, quite happy with him. Decided not to go with the blue cross warpaint as per box art.

The bust is 1/16 scale Lab-54 bought from El Greco. The flesh is W&N Artisan water soluble oils for face and Castle Artists acrylic for the rest. Metal is Darkstar Steel with slight highlights using Castle Acrylic silver.

01E214B4-8084-4FD2-B4C1-D06AA5B10FAC.jpegA8DF444E-5310-4695-861C-30871328FA84.jpeg8171CDE7-6000-4EC4-B5C1-28FC2C80B485.jpegBABEE041-32BD-4807-A797-5C71D6A15294.jpegDE87CE8C-8273-4AD7-9CF6-38E6C2B24344.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really like the metals and tartan. Good face as well.....
Cheers
Tim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic graham ! A brilliant piece of painting , water soluble oils eh? Tell me more , are they expensive and more importantly are they idiot friendly and give a superb result like this in the hands of a pleb like me!!??

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work,Graham ,your becoming quite the figure painter and doing it so well,
do like the hair tones,and real well done on the skin,tones as well,tartan is not an easy thing to do,
great work on him,is he based of the father,of the big one in bravehart,:smiling:

F

Fenlander

Fantastic graham ! A brilliant piece of painting , water soluble oils eh? Tell me more , are they expensive and more importantly are they idiot friendly and give a superb result like this in the hands of a pleb like me!!??

Lol, bit of a misnomer really. The water Soluable oils are standard oils that have had the solvent, the oil, modified to make them dissolve in water. They feel and act like standard oils but have the advantage that the brushes can be cleaned off in water. You can thin them using water but it can cause temporary colour shift. I normally thin with a specific thinner and just use water to clean up.

They are not much, if any more expensive than normal mid range oils. Are they idiot friendly? Well I am an idiot and they are my friends lol. Oil paint of flesh can be easier than acrylic only in that wet blending can be much easier to do. However, I struggled for years to get to grips with it until I had one of those lightbulb moments. It does really require colour mixing which means, for me, it is a tad inconsistent but all my painting is very inconsistent anyway.

The main thing I find with oil painting is that it can be quick to get the first wet in wet blending done but this has to be allowed to completely dry before ‘refining’ and that can take a few days to a week depending on conditions.

F

Fenlander

real nice work,Graham ,your becoming quite the figure painter and doing it so well,
do like the hair tones,and real well done on the skin,tones as well,tartan is not an easy thing to do,
great work on him,is he based of the father,of the big one in bravehart,:smiling:

Thanks Monica, he is indeed a character from Bravehart. The box art has a blue cross on the face but I feel this is more Hollywood than Highlands :smiling5: It isn’t a true tartan, this is done as stripes which is why I called it mock tartan, all part of the illusion.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Thanks Monica, he is indeed a character from Bravehart. The box art has a blue cross on the face but I feel this is more Hollywood than Highlands :smiling5: It isn’t a true tartan, this is done as stripes which is why I called it mock tartan, all part of the illusion.
there is a trick to painting tartan,someone did tell me once ,but real don,t remember it some think to run pass my mates
at Nic,s next chat day ,

F

Fenlander

there is a trick to painting tartan,someone did tell me once ,but real don,t remember it some think to run pass my mates
at Nic,s next chat day ,

Quite a few ways to do it. You can use semi transparent paints for the vertical and horizontal stripes, the idea being that they will naturally change colour where they cross giving a third colour. Ore you can paint it as squares which would be a bit tedious on the smaller scales.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Quite a few ways to do it. You can use semi transparent paints for the vertical and horizontal stripes, the idea being that they will naturally change colour where they cross giving a third colour. Ore you can paint it as squares which would be a bit tedious on the smaller scales.
I think it was the way with the,squares,they said,like the sounds of the first way,must do some think one day,to try it ,:rolling::smiling:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Graham
Another terrific bust. He very much looks like the actor from Braveheart. Was that yours or the sculptors intention?
Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Missed this among the various threads going on Graham, but wonderful result, you've really nailed the look of this guy