Lacquer Microfiller

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi All,

Is the best Lacquer Microfiller Mr Surfacer 1000?
What is the difference between Mr Surfacer and Mr Suface Primer, and what PSI and thinner ratio are people using?

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi Alexander. I can't say it's the best as I haven't tried them all, but Mr Surfacer 1000 is certainly very good, and was my spray primer of choice over any heavy sanding or filler work.

I say was as I've now replaced it with the newer Mr Primer Surfacer 1000. I've found it fills just as well, the colour is lighter and slightly more transparent, but it's adhesion to styrene is quite remarkable. I haven't tried it on metal or resin yet but it's supposed to be an improvement over the normal Surfacer 1000.

I have it ready to go in a pot thinned 1:1 with Mr Rapid Thinner, but if I just want to coat the plastic and don't need so much of the filling properties, I'll thin it a bit more.

I couldn't tell you what PSI I use as it's something I never look at. Gauges are too inaccurate at this end of the scale and there are far too many other variables for definite PSI figures to be meaningful in my opinion, but I'll start at a medium pressure and bump it up or down until it sprays how I want.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry, I haven't used the alclad so can't compare.