Lady Karlin 90mm

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
This my old AD&D character from waay back in the'nineties (remember then?), Lady Karlin y Maris-Grelfur d'Almeric
IMG_2547.JPGIMG_2548.JPG
The figure is 90mm and was sculpted by Chub Pearson and released through his own Denizen miniatures. I did the original design sketches, to add to the Denizen 90mm range. I believe she's still available. The 'Nadia Murphy' of that range is based on my sketches too.
This version is 'accurized' to her 'in-game' appearence - though I 've never gotten around to adding her shades or cloak
I always wanted to do a mounted version of her, but never managed to find a suitable horse.
The crest, by the way, is a transfer included in the kit

To compare, here's the 'tabletop' 25mm version, converted from one of the Julie Guthrie' range
IMG_2549.JPGIMG_2550.JPG
There is a 'no prize' for pointing out what is wrong with the shield, by rules of heraldry

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work on theses two,like the tarnish armor look one the 1st one ,
i know how tricky theses 25 mm one,s are to paint,well done ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm beginning to see what you mean about these game fig. scales..........tend to look a little dwarfish. Beautiful paint work on both Chris.:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job on these Chris....she has a slight steampunk vibe with the goggles.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks for all your comments

Monica , I'll be honest, though the effect of the armour works, it's not what I was intending. Originally, I buffed up the bare metal and then did a high gloss (Gunze Clear) varnish to make the armour shiny - it is, after all supposed to be magical - over the years she's faded a little, but that's okay

Rick - when you post pictures of figures that end up three times 'actual size' on screen, proportions do go a bit odd. Julie Guthrie's work is often cited has being anatomically realistic. Realistic for elves, dwarves, naked sorceresses... You get my drift

Ah, Tim... Karlin was in shades BEFORE those 'gears-on-top-hats' types, as she dates from, originally (gasp), 1988. She wears the goggles because, and here I froth a little, her family has a 'dark elf in the woodpile', so she can see in the dark but is nearly blind in daylight. Hmm, I now hear Velma Dinkley saying 'My glasses! I can't see without my glasses'

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So - here's how her ladyship comes as the kit; I have a few unmade freebies from Chub.
IMG_2565.JPG
As you can see, there's a half head to go in the helmet - that's what I used for mine. The candelabra thing is a helmet stand for the bareheaded version. What i was most pleased about is Chub managed to get the sword name on
-and this is the transfer for the coat of arms; Griffon recumbent, lance pierced
IMG_2566.JPG

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice lookking kit not to much flash,so good getting the decals as well :smiling:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
nice lookking kit not to much flash,so good getting the decals as well :smiling:
I do feel hononour bound to point out that what I have there is, I think, the second one out of the mould!
And also, she's the best part of thirty years old now - but I would NEVER ask a lady her ACTUAL age