Lancaster front gunner position

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just trying to figure out where the front gunner stood to operate the guns. I think the bomb aimer had a seat/stool to sit on whilst there, but where did the gunner stand?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Any good?
ABE8C763-AD7A-4336-95C6-38FA5888C75C.jpeg
I think the gunners legs just dangled down…I seem to remember reading that they had to rig stirrups to get them out of the bomb aimers face during operation chastise when he used the Woolworths bomb site sitting up….but I might have just got that from the Dambusters film….

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Works for me Tim. Thanks very much

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The bomb aimer also manned the front turret. The turret has a seat.
Tim: I remember also the conversation about the dangling legs but, of course, if the bomb aimer and the gunner are one and the same person this can’t have been the case. Either way the position is as you describe.
Cheers
P

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Was wondering about legs dangling especially during the dam raids. Because the bomb aimer was rather busy lining up the towers but the front turret was also being operated.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The bomb aimer also manned the front turret. The turret has a seat.
Tim: I remember also the conversation about the dangling legs but, of course, if the bomb aimer and the gunner are one and the same person this can’t have been the case. Either way the position is as you describe.
Cheers
P
I never realised that Paul………so I must have got the duff gen from the film…thanks for the correction…

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I never realised that Paul………so I must have got the duff gen from the film…thanks for the correction…
I’m not correcting Tim. I’m genuinely at bit confused myself. I got my info from here:
If this info is correct then the film is probably using ‘artistic licence’
Cheers
P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If the site I mentioned is to be believed then it seems the front turret was rarely used.
I guess it makes for a better shot with all turrets blazing
Cheers
P

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The front turret was defo used on the dam raids. Gibson's and Martin's lancs flew either side of Martin's lanc. They all used the front turrets to draw fire whilst Young's aircraft made it's bomb run.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I guess it must be one of the other crew then. But then the flanking Lancs would not be using their bomb aimers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, but when Gibson and Martins Lancs ran shotgun the bomb aimer wasn’t trying to bomb the dam, so could operate the turret.
A Lance crew was seven or eight….
Rear gunner, Mid upper gunner, Pilot, Engineer, Navigator, Bomb Aimer, Wireless Operator, and in certain circumstances the eighth man, Radar operator….
Bomb Aimer was only aiming the bombs during the bomb run, so the rest of the time he could happily operate the front turret.