Land Rover - 'Proud'

First Name
Charles
This is an Italeri 4 wheel drive 109" LWB kit I bought on Ebay. I am not completely finished with this kit yet. I still have many extra accessories to add, which I'm waiting on. This little vignette is called 'Proud'. The African driver is proud of how he managed to pack his entire belongings in one go.

The idea comes from looking at many pictures of various overloaded vehicles from around the world. Some more rediculous than others. I am adding another figure of a guy taking a pic of the African driver and his personal belongings.

Will post pictures when I've completed this project. The figure is one of my first try at building a decent figure so please go easy. It is not 100% complete yet.

H

Hunty22

Again, a brilliant job mate. I love the stories your dio's tell.

Steve

B

Boldman

Lol that is superb! I love the way the back is so heavy its broken the tarmac! That must be a series 3 Land Rover as the grill at the front is the more modern variety. I've been building a Series 2 LWB Land Rover in Meccano for just over a year and its has the old fashioned inverted "T" grille.

First Name
Charles
Thanks Steve.

\ said:
Lol that is superb! I love the way the back is so heavy its broken the tarmac! That must be a series 3 Land Rover as the grill at the front is the more modern variety. I've been building a Series 2 LWB Land Rover in Meccano for just over a year and its has the old fashioned inverted "T" grille.
The asphalt road was not made by the Land Rover. It was already there. But I assume you were joking. ;)

B

Boldman

Now if I was clever I'd say "yes of course I was joking"... ahem ;) I've just been loking for more examples of the kit you mention and saw a couple on eBay so going to have a go at getting one for later on in the year. So when I fisnish the meccano Land Rover (which is in 1:5 scale) I'll be able to pose it next to the 1:24 model :smiling3:

First Name
Charles
:smiling3: Ebay has mnay old kits that usually pop up every now and then, but you have to be do a bit of searching.

B

backonthecase

That looks great mate, humour and pride in one diorama.

However, I don't like to be "that guy" but as a Land Rover fan, I'd like to pitch to you that as far as I recall, the bodywork on these babies was aluminium and thus wouldn't rust... I don't know if you are bothered by this, and by no means does it detract from an amazingly detailed dio, but it's just an observation from a fellow modeller to another.

Stuart

First Name
Charles
\ said:
That looks great mate, humour and pride in one diorama.However, I don't like to be "that guy" but as a Land Rover fan, I'd like to pitch to you that as far as I recall, the bodywork on these babies was aluminium and thus wouldn't rust... I don't know if you are bothered by this, and by no means does it detract from an amazingly detailed dio, but it's just an observation from a fellow modeller to another.

Stuart
Hi Stuart. You are not the first to point this out. In fact, I do not know why everyone thinks it is rust. I was trying to portray old paint underneath that has been repainted and has peeled off, in the environment that they are in; the hot African climate as well as bad maintenance. I should have probably been clear about this in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

backonthecase

Completely understood Charles, forgive my intrusion! At any rate it is a good effect of the different layers!

Stuart

First Name
Charles
You in no way intruded my friend. I understand why people thinks it is rust. :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
To me the "rust" looks like old red oxide primer Charles, nice work bud. My old works vehicle was the LWB Landy only in Green and black, with a good few colours inbetween after we been through trees lol.

Five stars and have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a great model and tells a story I remember all too well from my childhood in West Africa. You've brought back some happy memories!

Of course now you rarely see a Landrover,more Landcruisers and the like which is a great shame.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Charles
\ said:
To me the "rust" looks like old red oxide primer Charles, nice work bud. My old works vehicle was the LWB Landy only in Green and black, with a good few colours inbetween after we been through trees lol.Five stars and have fun, John
Hi John. In reality it is red oxide primer but made to look like the guy tried painting these patches up, after using primer then the main color to blend in. But of course that did not work. Only imagination is necessary...The rest, the viewer can figure out for themselves. ;)

First Name
Charles
\ said:
It's a great model and tells a story I remember all too well from my childhood in West Africa. You've brought back some happy memories!Of course now you rarely see a Landrover,more Landcruisers and the like which is a great shame.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. If you don't mind me asking, where in West Africa, were you?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks Steve. If you don't mind me asking, where in West Africa, were you?
Nigeria, in the old Eastern Region,based in Enugu which became the capital of Biafra during that conflict. It was quite different to how it is now.We're talking about the 1960s not long after independence. The family decamped there shortly after my father left the Navy. I had my fifth birthday on the boat (that's right...boat) on the way there. When my mother passed away I found a trunk with an Elder Dempster shipping line label on it from that voyage in her attic. It was also marked NNOV which one of my nautical cousins tells me stood for "Not Needed On Voyage".

We had a family Land Rover along with,unbelievably,a Ford Anglia! I can't remember what exactly the Land Rover was but it was a long wheel base version. My brother and I would bounce around in the back being deafened by the rattling tail gate chains, ocassionally banging our heads on the roof when rocketed of our "seats" by a particularly large rut or pot hole! Most of the roads were pretty bad. I think the Anglia was just for driving in town and to and from my father's work place. I remember my dad telling us that Land Rovers had very bad heaters which didn't seem entirely relevant when the outside temperature was over forty degrees.

One day,if I ever get time, I'll write a book about it LOL.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Charles
Very interesting Steve. Thank you kindly- I asked because I am originally from Liberia but have been living in Sweden for over 20 years. So I was just curious.

P

Polux

Hello Tiking. Fantastic and original diorama. I am a collector of models land Rover and am employed also at this Kit of Italeri. I expect to share soon also some photos. Very nice, congratulations. Regards

First Name
Charles
\ said:
Hello Tiking. Fantastic and original diorama. I am a collector of models land Rover and am employed also at this Kit of Italeri. I expect to share soon also some photos. Very nice, congratulations. Regards
Thanks. Will be expecting to see some photos on the forum. :smiling3: Thanks for stopping by.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Very interesting Steve. Thank you kindly- I asked because I am originally from Liberia but have been living in Sweden for over 20 years. So I was just curious.
I missed your reply until now. I never visited Liberia,I remember stopping at Takoradi and Freetown but not Monrovia. I was very young at the time so I may be mistaken.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Charles
Added more details and took some out door photos. I love natural light. :smiling3: