Land Rover with a difference.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Had this one in the stash for some time and as always along comes something to divert your attention.
As the Comet base is drying in the clamps and the packs are just about finished, I thought iIwould get another build out of the cupboard and finish it off.
So, when I finished my training and got sent up to the Battalion, and being a 5' 8' runt I got put with all the other runts in the Anti-Tank Platoon. At that time we were equipped with the MOWBAT 120mm Anti-Tank weapon. A few weeks later it was off to sunny Aden and a meeting with the WOMBAT. This was used to great effect in frightening crows (commonly called s***e hawks) and other things with wings including RAF Hunters, and seeing off the shepherds and a few sheep, chops all over the place and not a drop of mint sauce. Later we returned to the UK and back to the MOWBATS and duly towed them all over the country, great for storing bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale in the barrels...
Next posting was to Germany - Munster Kaserne and across the road Pinkys Bar, and it was here that we made the aquaintance again of the WOMBAT. No Bren gun on this baby, we had gone up in the world... a socking great .5, and the first words were "Do not stand in front of it, it is very tempramental." And not only that it came with its own transport a Land Rover, but not just any LR, an open LR, and not a drop of wet weather gear to hand, Oh the gun had it - we drowned....
So I now go back to my ill spent first few years in the army trying to drink Germany dry and other things with German ladies....
LRW1.jpg
Having obtained the Italeri L/R I then went on the hunt for the David J Parkins white metal and etched brass conversion kit. This come to you with a complete WOMBAT and the brass to not only add the ammo bins but also new fron grill, windshield and other goodies. A new set of wheels from Accurate Armour started the ball rolling.
LRW2.jpg
First job was to assemble the chassis and running gear, although not seen here I did add some aluminium tube between the brake drums and the axles to add strength and support. Also added was a new tail pipe from stainless steel tube and exhaust clamps for and aft of the rear axle.
LRW3.jpg
I went a bit far when flattening the tyres, but once on a base the difference will not be noticable...
LRW4.jpg
The kit front leaves a bit to be desired, the top of the wings leave a very big step between the upper wings and the front body panel. This was cemented with liquid cement and then filled with cellulose body stopper, also the ends of the wings/door support were filled. The bonnet/hood need the front underside to be ground away untill you are almost through the plastic, this is to allow the new grill to be fitted. This comes as two parts, the first it the mesh grill and the second is the 'bars' that you see at the front of the grill. As you can see I have taken off the side lights and indicators this will allow the later fitting of the SKP Models set of light lens for the L/R.
LRW5.jpg
Here you can see where the ammo bins have been folded and soldered and c/a'd to the frame that sits across the bodywork. This panel is a very tight fit and will involve a bit of sanding of the inner wall of the bodywork plus some cutting away from the underside plastic, but this is nothing to worry about, just fit - sand - fit again.
LRW6.jpg
And here is a mock-up of the vehicle so far, in the background you can see the new wind shield, and on the vehicle the lower part, there are some spare brackets for the wind shield if you lose one or two. On the lower front dash/ engine tunnel you can see I have added the heater controls, but that is a personal choice.
And that is the amount of work so far.
Cheers,
Mike.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Mike, interesting looking conversion of a Land Rover, always wondered what sort of use they would have been in actual combat, not much I suspect! The item on the bulkhead above the transmission tunnel is a hand throttle, my Series 3 had one when I got it, though it wasn't actually connected to anything!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very unusual, but interesting conversion. Some fine work there. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Very interesting conversion which I'm sure you will make a cracking job of.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
always wondered what sort of use they would have been in actual combat, not much I suspect!
Not sure I agree with the assessment. These recoilless rifles are essentially the equivalent of 1940s anti-tank guns, but mounted on a 4×4 they would be far more mobile, so assuming otherwise similar tactics, should have greater survivability once they opened fire. The main problem with anti-tank guns is that they’ll be on the receiving end soon after opening fire, after all, and the usual Second World War towed types would just have to sit that out. At least when it’s on a Land Rover or similar vehicle, you can fire and bug out.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
Chair pulled up for this. I worked on the WOMBAT Weapon of Magnesium Battalion Anti Tank a very simple but effective anti tank weapon but a good idea to mount it as it left a lot of smoke around when fired.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
CHAIR PULLED.... l'm ready this is gonna be (as usual) fantastic

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice variations on the landy. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike, interesting looking conversion of a Land Rover, always wondered what sort of use they would have been in actual combat, not much I suspect! The item on the bulkhead above the transmission tunnel is a hand throttle, my Series 3 had one when I got it, though it wasn't actually connected to anything!
Cheers Graeme, will now remove one of the 'levers', the kit offering was just a blob. They were intended as a hit and run item. The gun once fired threw all the muck out the back as an 'Here I am' signal that could be seen forever, and the MOWBAT was even worse, and they made us dig gun pits for them as well!!!! The idea was one round as a miss and then fire a second and then drag it out the gun pit and bog off!
Mike

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
Chair pulled up for this. I worked on the WOMBAT Weapon of Magnesium Battalion Anti Tank a very simple but effective anti tank weapon but a good idea to mount it as it left a lot of smoke around when fired.
Scottie,
True, the backblast was a joy to behold, and the MOWBAT was even worse, but a lot more of a stable platform. When in Germany i got the job of fitting the battalion SCAT (Shouldn't cost a tenner) mounts into the 432's for the WOMBAT. But we used to have fun with them when on the ranges...
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Have been beavering away both on this and the base for the Comet...
To start, I finished of the windscreen, a total of 6 parts plus glass... plus hinge brackets....:tired:
windscreen.jpg
And also the mount for it...
window.jpg
Also added one of the hinge pins from copper wire...
windowpin.jpg
The angle is a bit off as it shows it to be connected to the frame as well.
Also added the winch hook and the lower gun crutch...
winchhook.jpg
The gun itself is also underway, this is all cast in white metal and has a small etch set as well..
gunconstruction.jpg
I drilled out the pivot holes and used brass rod for the pins so that the barrel can be adjusted for final locating in the trail fore and aft.
rebuilt05.jpg
The .05 barrel is also a cast item and as is usual suffered from being bent, so I decided to rebuild it. Here you can see the new barrel fitted to the breech mechanism/body. the bracket joining the gas chamber to the barrel is from 1.5mm x 1mm plastic rod with holes drilled to allow the barrel to pass through, and there is enough slck to allow for adjustment. None of this it glued as yet, once I am happy with the build then I will secure it to the main gun.
And that is it for now,
Cheers,
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
You probably know this already but the .50 calibre was called the M8C if you need reference pictures.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ralph,
Paul,
Jim,
Many thanks for your kind comments.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
You probably know this already but the .50 calibre was called the M8C if you need reference pictures.
Scottie,
Just typed it in - really....
1148788285_preview_i.jpg
:tears-of-joy::smiling6::smiling::smiling4:....
Now I have settled down. I have some somewhere but have done a trawl on the interweb and come up with a couple.
Cheers,
Mike.