Land-Wasser-Schlepper No. 1071

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Having read through the MM web page which Steve flagged up I think I'll definitely be giving it a miss. It just sounds too risky and complicated. Other paints seem much more forgiving.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would also be extremely careful about future handling…..
Holding the model for touching up areas my airbrush didn’t reach, caused darker areas on the hull sides. Not quite fingerprints, but clearly caused by me holding the model.

did you dilute the mission model paint at all Jakko?
Nope — I poured the paint into my airbrush cup, thought it looked thin enough to spray, tried it without thinner, and then decided it was good enough to spray the model with. What’s on it is what came from the bottle and nothing else.

I hadn’t read up on the brand at all, I have one other bottle of their paints that I used (on my M70 “what if” MBT), and it worked well enough there, so when looking for German grey I thought I’d buy this. On another forum, someone said that some modeller who I assume to be some superstar of the hobby whom I’ve never heard of, likes Mission Models paints for chipping because they don’t need a layer of hairspray underneath … So I will definitely be varnishing this one before I go on :smiling3:

Though after this I think I will not be buying much more of this … I prefer the strength of stuff like Tamiya and Mr. Hobby, even if it means having to thin them myself.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That page seems to suggest that unless you have a pristine airbrush then sooner or later you will get problems…..in effect you need a new airbrush, and to only use it for MM paint, to have the paint perform issue free?
Totally correct Tim. That's why I don't use it, which is a shame as its poly element is great for burnishing to give a nice worn effect.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
On another forum, someone said that some modeller who I assume to be some superstar of the hobby whom I’ve never heard of, likes Mission Models paints for chipping because they don’t need a layer of hairspray underneath …
That will probably be Mike Rinaldi. He is MM through and through and worked with them to promote the product in the early days. The chipping ability of the paint is very good but for me the rest of its issues out weighs this one benefit.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
He referred to someone called Rinaldi, so I suspect that’s the one, then :smiling3: If he likes it and can work well with it, good for him, but this experience for me was not great.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
A very timely discussion here as I too use MM paints. Yesterday, I wanted to shoot their red oxide on a few pieces and poured it straight into the cup. Spraying at 15 psi, I managed to paint 4 wheels before the AB clogged up. I noticed the tip of my Aztec looked caked up, so to speak, so I emptied the cup and proceeded to clean the AB with their thinner. It made it worse and clumped everything up. The only thought I had was that the thinner had gone off and become useless. It had a greasy feel to it too. The bottle is a bit over 5 years old and I didn't think thinner had a shelf life...

I ended up cleaning the mess in the AB with AK 3rd Gen thinner. That worked pretty well and got it clean. I have used MM's late war dark yellow many times and never had a problem spraying with it. I found the paint coat is smooth, but very prone to scratching while handling the model though. I've never had a problem with finger prints or darkening where you handle it either...

Sorry to clog up your thread Jakko. It's just a funny coincidence with MM paints. I really like your work on the Schlepper and your attention to details. I have the Hobby Boss early model of this waiting to be built someday. Drive on Sir!!!....

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I also used an Aztek, and it didn’t clog up the nozzle or form a cone around the needle tip at all, unlike Vallejo. This paint keeps getting more unpredictable :smiling3:

Anyway, this afternoon, I varnished the model:

98F93745-E11D-42B3-AEA3-AD57FA7AAE37.jpeg

Among my aerosol cans, I found one of Games Workshop ’Ardcoat, which is their gloss varnish. Figuring it would be better to use this than one intended for cars (the only alternative I have), I gave the model a good coat of it. Now it’s dry, I tried brushing water on the bottom of the hull again, and this time, no bare plastic show up. Success :smiling3: So far, anyway … I should not get excited too early about this …

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Lets hope that the 'ardcoat has sorted the problem. Still can't understand how MM can promote a paint with so many disadvantages, especially when there are so many paints with good reviews.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It will now be slightly tricky to do my usual wash-and-drybrush, because the gloss has increased the contrast between the dark grey base and the medium grey highlights. I hope an overall wash plus a later coat of matt varnish will reduce the contrast a little again, though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Only problem is that it, of course, also made the model a fair bit darker overall :smiling3: Hopefully drybrushing with basic Panzer grey and then some lighter shade(s) will help with that, though.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Jakko.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now the whole model has been drybrushed with Italeri tyre colour:

C5BB3EFF-31F4-474E-A197-14E9BD56FA3D.jpeg

That’s a dark grey, but lighter than Panzer grey, and after this will come a medium grey drybrush to add highlights. (In the picture, the model looks lighter than it is because of reflections from the rounded bits.)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Small steps, but it’s getting there … I painted the roadwheel tyres with Italeri rubber colour, followed by a coat of thinned-down Indian ink:

67347A5F-4976-4A4F-A49C-8DDF35FC2B27.jpeg

Maybe they need a bit of drybrushing, not sure yet. At the rear, I noticed the flagpole wasn’t fitted on the vehicle as photographed at Vlissingen, so I cut it off, filed the mounting flat and drilled it out:

1DF6E5F5-00B0-4099-AFF7-B4D9A08CD3B3.jpeg

Followed by painting it, of course :smiling3: Also, I added the markings, which isn’t much:

69398013-F93E-4223-B107-B40D328C26DA.jpeg

The number and symbol on the bow are from the kit, but the cross on the side is from a Techmod set for 1:72 aircraft. This because Bronco’s are too small: about 8.5 mm, when measuring in photos tells me they should be about 10 to 11 mm. These are not quite the right style (nor are Bronco’s, BTW), but they are far closer in size to what they should be.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Jakko, it really is an odd looking beast!

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I imagine people would be very surprised if they saw one sail up to a beach and it didn’t stop but kept going onto it. The more I look at it, the more I’m convinced this was considered to be a boat that could also go ashore when needed, rather than a land vehicle that could also swim — which is how things like the Allied LVT, DUKW or Terrapin were viewed. The flagpole that I removed is a good sign of this: vessels have a flagpole, ground vehicles don’t usually.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I imagine people would be very surprised if they saw one sail up to a beach and it didn’t stop but kept going onto it. The more I look at it, the more I’m convinced this was considered to be a boat that could also go ashore when needed, rather than a land vehicle that could also swim — which is how things like the Allied LVT, DUKW or Terrapin were viewed. The flagpole that I removed is a good sign of this: vessels have a flagpole, ground vehicles don’t usually.
You're probably right. Without the tracks it looks a bit like a boat on multi-bogie roller skates!