Land-Wasser-Schlepper No. 1071

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m kind of wondering how well it sailed, but I don’t actually have much documentation on this vehicle. Certainly nothing that goes into that side of it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A coat of matt varnish and the whole thing is darker with more contrast again … oh, well.

3A8FD8A9-C857-4D3F-BF34-E423E10354F3.jpeg

I then removed the masking tape, during which I managed to push one in:

553CBCBF-1C16-423D-8468-D7E7696DD2A9.jpeg

It took a lot of fiddling with tweezers and a sculpting tool to get it back in place, during which I had to hold the model above my head so that the plate the window sits in, was more or less horizontal.

Also, it turns out that putting tape on the front windows before glueing them in was not the best way to do it. Some of the tape gets caught between the window and the frame this way, so anyone else building one, I would advise to only tape off these windows after glueing them in place. There is no such problem with the portholes in the sides, though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now to make those bumpers from (probably) medical gauze, and find a way to paint or preferably dye them brown …

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Jakko,

If you do use gauze for the bumpers, you can use Tamiya brown panel line accent color to dye it. I would use a bigger brush to do it as the bottle brush is small. I used their black to color the white cord that comes with the Takom Strabokran kit and it worked well. It leaves the cord (or material) flexible and easy to work with. Just let it dry for a day or two before working with it. If it's too dark, you can always do a wash over it when you have it formed to fit. Pigments work too. HTHs..........

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was thinking of going into town to some hobby (not model) shop and asking if they have brown textile dye :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Brown ink will probably do it Jakko, as would strong tea (obviously without milk and sugar :tongue-out3: ).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The only brown ink I have is a half-empty bottle from Games Workshop, I doubt that would be enough to soak the amount of gauze this model will need :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have had problems masking windows before fitting. A few spots of glue got under the tape and it was difficult to remove. I'm glad yours is sorted. It looks great, the extra contrasty look is fine. Interested to see how the bumpers go. They are a significant part of the look of these vehicles.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agreed, it looks very different with the bumpers than without. I would have expected Bronco to include an attempt at them in plastic, but I suppose they didn’t want to bother. Which is odd, given how all of the vehicles appear to have had them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very odd indeed considering they have shown them on the box art……are there any ideas in the model boat world you can steal?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I haven’t looked into that, but on another forum there was some discussion about it (concerning my model) and I think that if there was some simple model boat method, it would have been mentioned there. So other than buying them, or knotting or weaving them myself, my only real options seem to be sculpt them from putty, or make them from something that will look like it’s knotted. That’s why I ended up thinking medical gauze might do the trick :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a great call Neil. There must be loads of options in the haberdashery suppliers catalogues.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, that’s a good idea, I hadn’t thought of that yet. I may have to look through a bag of old laces to see if there is anything usable in there. One problem I foresee with it, though, is the thick part on the bow — that needs to be in keeping with the rest, and finding a shoelace that fits seems unlikely.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I recon what you need is piping or lacing chord….
You could make the “thick“ end bow shape using similar collared packing and wrap it with thin chord.