Land-Wasser-Schlepper No. 1071

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I recon what you need is piping or lacing chord….
You could make the “thick“ end bow shape using similar collared packing and wrap it with thin chord.
Not sure that would work, wouldn’t the wrapped-around bit be obvious? The real thing was obviously knotted to increase and then decrease in thickness again. I was thinking of replicating this by folding or cutting some gauze into a triangle shape, rolling it up and then putting more gauze around all of it.

Scale models sells the gunwales bumpers for this but unfortunately no price that I can see.
Thanks, that’s the woven bumper I mentioned earlier on in this thread, and they cost 60 Canadian dollars, plus postage (and probably import duties and VAT coming afterward). That’s about €44 at current exchange rates, which is more than I paid for the kit and I have no idea how long I would have to wait for them to be delivered. That last one is the main reason I want to use some other method :smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The box art illustrates the ‘thickened’ bit well. The underlying shape is padded out, and the top layer is made from vertically wrapped rope to reinforce it. If you replicate that with something to make the shape, then wrap it with thinner chord, it will hide whats underneath.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I visited the Tachweave site and the whole set goes for $60.00 Canadian..........think I'd make me own given that price......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm not sure these guys are still in business. I messaged them 2 weeks ago about another product and I haven't received a reply . Their website was last active in 2020...
That doesn’t necessarily mean much, I looked at AFV Club’s site the other day because of their Churchill AVRE with SBG, and the last news items were from 2019. But yeah, if they haven’t gotten back to you in two weeks then something might well be up. I could imagine he’s gotten tired of weaving all this stuff all the time :smiling3:

The box art illustrates the ‘thickened’ bit well.
It does, except that on my subject, it didn’t have the cord wrapped around it:

lws-1071-jpg.451858

If it did have that, then yes, the method you suggest would work pretty well :smiling3:

$60.00 Canadian..........think I'd make me own given that price......
I might be willing to spend that money, but I don’t really want to either pay a lot for airmail or wait months for transatlantic post to get it to me :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Can you find a tubular bandage small enough? Getting the basic shape would only need gluing successively shorter lengths of string together, then cover with the tubular bandage, then tie some thin thread around it to replicate the ties on the original.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was thinking of just rolling up some bandage material, and concealing the edge by glueing that side to the model. With, of course, thread tied around it like you say.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If you had a largish piece of bandage cut to a triangle shape and rolled it up with the apex of the triangle in the centre, that would give you the extra thickness in the centre of the fender. I think it might need some string running through it to give it some structure.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Actually you could do an overlay of netting material (used on women's hats......comes in different mesh sizes) to cover Pete's suggestion of a triangular gauze and then use the vertical lashing (illustrated) to attach it to the gun'als.......quite simple, really.
;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you had a largish piece of bandage cut to a triangle shape and rolled it up with the apex of the triangle in the centre, that would give you the extra thickness in the centre of the fender.
That’s what I had thought of too — see above :smiling3: I think I’m going to try using the triangular piece as filler, with more bandage around it to give a more even appearance with no edges on the outside, which you would get if you just used the triangle.

netting material (used on women's hats......comes in different mesh sizes)
Finer mesh than a bandage would probably be better, but I couldn’t think of any. I may have to go to a shop that sells craft supplies and stuff, see if they have fine mesh, though not tule (which they would be likely to have) because it’s a hexagonal weave and that wouldn’t look right.