LARGE SCALE SERVICE GANTRY.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I was supposed to post this thread a while ago but, have been some issues with the camera.

Anyway, for our tank groups home and away events I have a service area, mainly WW2, spare tracks, ammo etc.

I have been wanting to make a service gantry, seen some pics of them from WW2 and thought I would have a try.

I started out thinking of using plasticard with wood etc but there is just no way I my hands would have stood up to making something this large cutting and trimming on this scale. So, it was put on the backburner for a while until I went into a charity shop and found a knackered toy crane, snapped it up cheap, next door was chucking some old toys out and electronics so I asked of I could have a rummage-got the cables and the feet and then it slowly started to come together. So, kitbashing from old toys, plasticard, spares box etc and three cans of primer later I have a gantry!

There is still painting, weathering and finishes to add but, here she is so far.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.JPG
    IMG_8738.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8739.JPG
    IMG_8739.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8741.JPG
    IMG_8741.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8743.JPG
    IMG_8743.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8745.JPG
    IMG_8745.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8747.JPG
    IMG_8747.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8748.JPG
    IMG_8748.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8749.JPG
    IMG_8749.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 36

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nicely done Si! I keep checking the charity shops for old toys to use for kitbashing, but all I seem to find are those made from soft polythene type plastics - which of course are no good 'cos you can't glue them together.

Yes I know there are some CA glues which will glue some types of soft plastics, but I can't be bothered to do the experiments to find out which does what just on the off-chance I'll find something for a kitbash.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nicely done Si! I keep checking the charity shops for old toys to use for kitbashing, but all I seem to find are those made from soft polythene type plastics - which of course are no good 'cos you can't glue them together.

Yes I know there are some CA glues which will glue some types of soft plastics, but I can't be bothered to do the experiments to find out which does what just on the off-chance I'll find something for a kitbash.

I am the same Dave, can't be arsed to faff around just for a few pieces. I am lucky as I have loads of drawers in the workshed full of crap...er...useful bits that just may come in handy.

Glad you like it, took me ages to get the stuff together. Once the primer has hardened it will be maskol time and the top coat!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very impressive Simon. I like it a lot. Good luck with the weathering

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this Si , top work recycling the toy crane , it looks superb . I too have a big box of crap ( spares) !! Its just a case of thinking ‘one day that might come in useful’ until that day comes the spares box is getting fuller and fuller!!! :smiling5:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very impressive Simon. I like it a lot. Good luck with the weathering

Cheers Steve, turned out better than I thought if I am honest, despite using some cable ties to get the top to fit better-I shall look at that later, in the meantime once finished I shall disguise using ropes etc.

Love this Si , top work recycling the toy crane , it looks superb . I too have a big box of crap ( spares) !! Its just a case of thinking ‘one day that might come in useful’ until that day comes the spares box is getting fuller and fuller!!! :smiling5:

Bless you Tony, appreciate it mate. It is funny how them 'spares' boxes build up...and up...and up. Since changing to larger scale and not doing diorama or kitbashing anymore I think a clear out may need to be had.

Very nice work indeed Si.

Ta Ian, chuffed you like it mate.