Late 1940's French Street Scene 1/35. Scratch built buildings, MB figures and Tamiya car .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Remember the knife sharpers Dave, too far away from any major city to attract onion sellers. Knew a scrap man in Grantham that had a horse , and still used it for trips around the town.

What I do want is one of those advertising tube like things, I've sent for some adverts. Think its going to have to be scratch built. At least its won't be hard As for the stripy shirt and beret we'll have to see.
Are you talking about a kiosk JR? Be easy enough to "scratch" one out of a small dia. tube.......one would think.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Verlinden used to make a Morris column (apparently that’s what they are called) in 1/35, and there is a 3D printable one about. Might be worth looking on Etsy or similar to see if anyone is selling one ready printed…….
Seen some from the US, arm and a leg comes to mind, going to attempt to make one as Rick has suggested.Thanks for the proper name, looked it up on Google photos, page full, some very ornate, need to find one the right hight to copy.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Are you talking about a kiosk JR? Be easy enough to "scratch" one out of a small dia. tube.......one would think.
Good idea Rick, found a suitable tube, need to cap it off and mould it like this, ----------------if I can :smiling3:

1653670367139.png
This is one by Verlinden, but its priced at $34 with out any postage:loudly-crying:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
don't buy new milliput, John, until you've tried warming it up by rolling a small piece in your hand. It's usually fine.
If it's got a crust on it, just trim that off, but do it before you cut the other part-make sure you keep the quantities of the two sticks equal or it won't cure properly.
Don't ask me how I know.....
Thanks Neil, I've found that one part has gone really hard, and the other perfectly soft. I'll try that and see how it goes. :thumb2:Appreciated.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A constructive day, I'd already glued a section of cheaper foam board to the ply. Today was the start of the base itself.

2022.jpg
Ok not everybody needs this, but as I love building and using foam board so much decided some time ago to invest. Such a clean cut and worth it.

2022_2.jpg
Marking out for the Kappa line board to go on top , showing where the pavement is and the road.

2022_3.jpg
Initial section of Kappa line board laid over the base.

2022_9.jpg
At this point the Kappa line has been cut out and the cheaper board also cut and placed down first on the base, giving the pavement hight above the road.
The reason I always use Kappa Line for anything to been scribed is the way the paper can be removed.

2022_7.jpg
Cheaper board glued onto base.
2022_10.jpg

Now pavement ready to fix.
2022_11.jpg

Pavement on and drying.

2022_12.jpg
The pavement is 5 mm above the road surface.

Next will be the front of the buildings and then the roof line.

Thanks for looking in and the suggestions for kits.

John.

Attachments

• 2022_8.jpg
    2022_8.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
..... and he's off. Glued foam board and chopped off a leg!!! The munching of biscuits and the slurping of tea and coffee can be heard.
Jim
Your right there Jim, more board fun tomorrow.

Nice to see progress John.
Thanks Tim . Made a Morris column, well the cylinder part from an old fax tube. Going to try and shape the top at some point.
John,
Your off to a great start mate, I will be following on for sure.
Thanks Paul.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good idea Rick, found a suitable tube, need to cap it off and mould it like this, ----------------if I can :smiling3:

View attachment 454243
This is one by Verlinden, but its priced at $34 with out any postage:loudly-crying:
JR......Google Vintage European advert. Kiosk images......I found several all different types of tops on them and some really simple in construction that you might try scratching.....g'luck with this.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice start John the master of foam.
Thank you Lee.

JR......Google Vintage European advert. Kiosk images......I found several all different types of tops on them and some really simple in construction that you might try scratching.....g'luck with this.
There's some many types Rick , think I might be there soon .

Well apart from testing a method of aging some paper and finding I could produce some realistic tears on a sample I fell asleep most of the afternoon :upside: Take note you youngsters this will apply to you sooner than you imagine !

Tomorrow is going to be spent doing some scale drawings of shop fronts. I've done some downloads of French street scenes around the late 1940's /early 1950's to give me some ideas.
Hopefully I will post them tomorrow .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all.
They say that time researching is important, well I hope after spending what seems to be hrs last night and the afternoon today will pay off. Armed with photos of French streets, coffee shop and the like I made a start on the drawings.

2022.jpg
Doesn't seem a lot from an afternoons effort, but trying to scale from a photo using a picture of a man to gauge heights takes time. Still pleased with the out come.
Would have preferred to have a much bigger base, and therefore had more building in space dictates all of us.

2022.jpg
This gives me the outlines to cut out the board and the joins. Lots more to design including those pull out canvas awnings . That should be fun.

2022_2.jpg
This gives a much better idea of what it should look like, again I would have liked the door way a lot wider.

Thanks for looking in.

John.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Excellent prep work mate, making the template certainly does help with the scale and the look.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Your research was clearly time well spent. Your layout has some really nice angles.
Jim

Reactions: JR