Late Panther Camouflage scheme

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Morning Gang,

I've had a peruse on the interweb but can't find what I once saw before and now can't find anywhere!

Basically I've got a late Panther tank ready to build, the colour schemes with it are the usual green/brown and sand colour late war camo, however I've seen a winter camo In a white and blue greyish scheme ...

I really liked it and wish I'd bookmarked it but thought I'd find it again....which, as this post would suggest, I haven't!!

I've seen a few mottled white and greyish late Panthers but not this white and blue grey scheme...

Any knowledge or links etc of similar from my learned forumites would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

Del

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
got nothing in blue/white in my reference pics but is this any use?

panthe10.jpg
panthe11.jpg

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Both real close chaps, but not the one..it's difficult to describe other than visualise a whitish grey all over colour with downward blueish 'V' shapes?

Edit: to add, this was a real photo I saw that had been colourised for authenticity.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Del,

Can't find anything other than the ones posted - or similar.

Agree with Jakko as well with regard to anything that has been re-coloured / re-touched.
Are they the right colours or the closest approximation?
Also viewing a scan of a picture on a monitor - so the "colour" may not be reproduced exactly.

Late war Panthers - majority finished in the factory with Dunkelgelb overall. Towards the end however due to paint/materials being in short supply - they sometimes appeared in red primer.
Maintenance crews etc applied the remaining colour scheme in the field - again depending on what was available. These were red brown and dark green. White wash was similarly applied in the field.
There is enough information online to research this, as you are probably well aware of.

HTH.

Paul.
:smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agree with Jakko as well with regard to anything that has been re-coloured / re-touched.
Are they the right colours or the closest approximation?
Not just that: coloured-in photos are entirely at the whim of the person adding the colour. Unless they explain why they did what they did, hopefully with references, anything that goes against accepted wisdom is suspect.

A few years ago I watched a coloured-in documentary about the Normandy fighting. It featured a column of German vehicles in overall dark yellow. I felt this to be suspect, and on looking closer, it was all 1940 equipment and uniforms. So those vehicles were panzer grey in the real world, but the colouring-in artist had made them dark yellow … For lack of better knowledge? To make it fit the narrative of the documentary? Who knows?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Of course, all that said, if you want to paint your Panther model in a winter scheme with blue, you should go ahead and do so. Just keep in mind that if you show it to people, they might question you about the colours :smiling3:

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Of course, all that said, if you want to paint your Panther model in a winter scheme with blue, you should go ahead and do so. Just keep in mind that if you show it to people, they might question you about the colours :smiling3:
I get that of course, just put it out there in case there was an answer