LE*D. Another ace.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How do you rate that Tamiya micro saw? My old exacto(?) ones are getting a bit toothy and will be needing a new one soon.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's brand new and works very well. I bought it because I mislaid my old one which,as it happens was an Exacto. I don't think there is much in it with a decent blade.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Few bits done. I've used most of the resin (the entire undercarriage bay for example). SWMBO's birthday today so I've got all day to ponder the pros and cons of PCM's suggested order of construction before I can do anything else.

Cheers

Steve

Edit,the camera/lights do something very odd to my interior green,it looks a lot less nauseating to the naked eye!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been having some proper fun with this today. I've decided on my own assembly plan which was just as well. Some of the parts,particularly the armour/bulkhead behind the pilot needed a bit of adjustment. Anyway,I've partially glued the fuselage together with the instrument panel,resin side walls and armour in place. The cockpit assembly will fit in from underneath (I've already tested that!). You can see from this piccy that there will be a bit of tidying up to do once this is all together.

I've also had a play with the fit of the wings,this could be interesting too!

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Steve. I'll be very interested in the next steps! I've fingers crossed for ya but I'm positive you'll do a great job.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm positive you'll do a great job.Cheers

Paul
Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul,I hope you are correct!

I've had a play with the fit of the wings and they appear to be a less than perfect fit. Infact they seem to belong to a different fuselage. I'm toying with various options,top of the list is to make the upper wing fit the fuselage and then add the lower wing and sort out any problems then. I've already thinned the top of the resin wheel well insert as that was never going to fit.

I don't want to sound too negative,this is not a mass produced kit and I expected to have to put a bit of work in. It is a much better kit than the only other 1/32 option which is the old (70s vintage) Revell offering. I beat one of those into shape a few years ago so hopefully I will make a decent Hurricane out of this PCM one!

I'll keep posting.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very slow progress,trying to get the fuselage into shape. There's only so much fun you can have with filler,nail varnish remover and various grades of sand paper!

Still looking a bit of a mess at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks to me like you have gotten the upper hand on it Steve.

Remind me again, what paint did you use for the cock pit. Looks just right.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Remind me again, what paint did you use for the cock pit. Looks just right.

Ian M
It's all Xtracrylix. It's Sky with some Dark Green added,I wasn't quite happy with that so I chucked in a little RLM76 as well. All totally unscientific and done by eye!

I've stuck the cockpit sub-assembly in and done a bit of detail painting on the wheel well,that's waiting for an oily wash.I've also fitted the bottom of the fuselage,lower portion of the two part rudder (why?) and the under fuselage strake. All needed a bit of filling.

There may be more fixing to do but that will be revealed much later when I spray the primer.

Tomorrow the wings!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
An early start as I want to get the wings on this weekend.

After much dry fitting,head scratching and colourful language I've established some facts.

First if you follow the instructiona and build up the wing before attaching the whole sub-assembly to the fuselage you will end up with all sorts of horrible steps and gaps to fix. Don't do it!

Secondly the curve of the upper wing surface doesn't match the curve of it's attachment to the fuselage.

Thirdly some rather poor molding means that you must dress the various mating surfaces to get any kind of strength in the join.

I've decided to go with my original hunch and attach the upper wings to the fuselage first. This should give a nice join without steps and gaps,the fixing of which would inevitably involve a loss of detail.

I attached the front,thicker part of the wing first.

Nice join at the front but you can see how the back part of the wing fails to line up with the fuselage. It's probably clearer from underneath.

The rear part of the wing is fairly thin and the plastic quite soft so I should be able to manipulate this into position without to much blue language. I'll let you know!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like two different designers worked the fuselage and the wings. I wonder if they ever met up to compare notes!

I am sure you are enjoying the challenge of building this more than say a Tamiya shake and glue job. - not that there is any thing wrong with them.

I am still trying to decide weather to get an airfix Hurri or go the easy rout and go for the Hasegawa one.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the top wings on,this is a picture of the slightly more difficult side. It looks worse than it is as I've given it a squirt of Mr Surfacer 500 (which I've then quickly removed with an alcohol moistened rag) to show up areas needing attention.

I'm steeling myself for fitting the lower wing which will also need a bit of work.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Keep at it steve, if you beat the matchbox 1/32 spit f mk24 into submission , this one should be no competition, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Keep at it steve, if you beat the matchbox 1/32 spit f mk24 into submission , this one should be no competition, cheers tony
You don't want to see the lower wings! Leading and tailing edges are fine but the rear under fuselage join is currently sporting stretched sprue in a gap,card shims at the fuselage join and a liberal pasting of Tamiya filler! I haven't untaped the front to see what needs doing there yet.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just about fixed that rear seam. A puff of primes shows a couple of little problems to fix but they don't show up on this photo (which makes me look good anyway!) I will have to rescribe a bit of lost detail.

What does show up is the joint around the front of the wing insert. This isn't too bad,infact it looks perfect compared to the one I fixed at the back) but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I'm just catching up on threads. This has been one S.O.A.B. but it looks like you've tamed it, well done.

A credit to your skills.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps. It's not a real b*gger Ron,unlike the Spitfire Tony mentioned,but it does need building. That's fine with me but I wouldn't reccommend it for someone just starting in ,or more likely,coming back to the hobby. You'd want a few under your belt first!

There's a couple of things to sort but I'm going to prime it at this stage as this may show up some other issues. It is starting to look like a Hurricane now.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Ian. At close of play today,for me,not the test match which I intend to watch now, I've got the primer on. This means major construction is finished and I can move on to my favourite bit,the painting.

Cheers

Steve