Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And I nearly did! :oops:

The suggestion of a Battle of Britian SSIG was put forward after the polls had closed but as it was such a good idea and there was support from the forum members, It was decided to include this as our little tribute to The Few.

Any subject matter from the Battle of Britain. Air, Ground, sea. British, German, even Italian.

As long as the subject depicted was there for real.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good news Mike you can make a great air battle and reduce the stash, giving you good grounds to get out and buy some more kits. :smiling3:

Ian M

D

Deleted member 4203

This sounds interesting ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4203

Does anyone know when the deadline for this one is? ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Does anyone know when the deadline for this one is? ;)
This is a year long one Blair:smiling3:

I've decided to get started on mine now after finishing my spitfire it's given me the mojo and seeing as this is a long one this can be done in stages :smiling3:

Great ... I am game for this one .... I've got the 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire and Hurricane. I hope to build both.

Squadron 151 for the Hurricane

and Squadron 92 for the Spitfire

First time building RAF planes ... just curious if the planes are well maintained or heavily weathered?

Thank you.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
First time building RAF planes ... just curious if the planes are well maintained or heavily weathered?
Generally they where kept pretty clean. However, if just coming back from a party, they could look pretty grubby: The oft over done "soot" from machine guns, would be removed during turn around. Also an aeroplane that has just landed would have some exhaust marks and oil smears from various openings around the motor. Some airmen had the opinion that a Merlin engine drank petrol and piddled oil...

Another area that could be Dirty, is the bottom. Landing on wet grass with no mud guards on the wheels all kinds of muck could get thrown up. this would also have been washed off as soon as possible as, as you can imagine have a very negative effect on the qualities of the aircraft.

After refuel and rearming, as much as possible of this grime would have been cleaned off. Not THE absolute priority, if the need was for wings in the air, things could have been skimped over but other wise its that old nut: A clean fighter is a fast fighter.

Ian M

Thanks Ian for the info.

What about the camo ... i see most the pro hard edge camo and soft edgr camo... any comments on that?

First Name
Dave
I've just read a review in Airfix magazine of the new Airfix 1/48 Hurricane which is due to be released next month.Looks a superb kit.An ideal candidate for this sig build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
What about the camo ... i see most the pro hard edge camo and soft edgr camo... any comments on that?
Most of the photos you will find of period aircraft (not restored that is), show both!

A machine finished in the factory paint will have a clear demarcation. aircraft that have been painted in the field 'could' have a softer edge.

Steve, (stona) posted some very good examples of this recently...

For ease of purpose try to search for pictures of the aircraft you wish to build. Try searching the serial number as well as that will often get a better result that just Hurricane... o.O

Like Dave, I rather like the look of that new Hurricane from Airfix. I might just have to get one.... ;)

Ian M