LEDs for enhancing models

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Been looking at both Boatman's Super Tomcat F14D and Brian's 1:48 Dkm u-Boat. When finished having a good feast at the images, I was wondering about the LEDs.
I sourced some from Farnell for my lifeboat because I wanted low current ones (2mA instead of the usual 20mA). Problem is, they are ginormous in comparison (3mm dia)
But the ones that these guys are using seem to be SMD ones with pre-fitted leads. And they seem to be small.

Can anyone point me to a good source of these?
Do they have an integral dropper resistor or do I have to get my calculator out?

Thanks chaps.
John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can also make a light-pipe: get some cheap optic cable (for example for TOSLINK audio) and strip off the outside to get the core, which will probably be 1 mm diameter, plastic, optical fibre. Install the LED anywhere convenient inside the model, then run bits of the optical fibre from there to where the light is needed. You can keep it in place near the LED by, for example, putting a bit of plastic card right next to the LED and drilling 1 mm holes in it to hold the fibre.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jennifer of Small Scale lights is very helpful .
I wouldn't think of going anywhere else, I'd used her products on three dioramas and she is approachable as well to any changes of length of cable .

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You can also make a light-pipe: get some cheap optic cable (for example for TOSLINK audio) and strip off the outside to get the core, which will probably be 1 mm diameter, plastic, optical fibre. Install the LED anywhere convenient inside the model, then run bits of the optical fibre from there to where the light is needed. You can keep it in place near the LED by, for example, putting a bit of plastic card right next to the LED and drilling 1 mm holes in it to hold the fibre.
Excellent idea - I'll file that one for later use :thumb2: