Lee Drennen’s 1/72 German SWS Halftrack with 20-mm Anti-Aircraft Flak-38 Gun.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee, this is the best I could do at the moment.........there are extremely few photos of this type of vehicle.
Very low production and very late in the war. The vehicle and gun are on the far right in the photo (for ref. only) the center one is the same type but with armored cab. Apologies for the lousy quality. Rick H.P1011955.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Aren’t these 3.7 cm FlaK 43 guns? Regardless, the Germans put so many automatic cannon on halftracks that a 2 cm FlaK 38 would not be unexpected.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They are Jakko..........I should have specified but again it was the only photo I could find at the moment. I can assure you they were equipped with single as well as quad 2cm mounts, just have'nt nailed em down yet. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'll check my refs. Lee and get back to you. BTW I do browse a lot on the I-net but I only retain the stuff I'm really interested in building at the moment. Rick H.
Thanks Rick I’ll go surfing as well

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Aren’t these 3.7 cm FlaK 43 guns? Regardless, the Germans put so many automatic cannon on halftracks that a 2 cm FlaK 38 would not be unexpected.
I don’t know Jakko.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
They are Jakko..........I should have specified but again it was the only photo I could find at the moment. I can assure you they were equipped with single as well as quad 2cm mounts, just have'nt nailed em down yet. Rick H.
So Rick I can bolt this gun down to the bed without the sled and it would be prototypical?? I’ll also be putting toe boards on the bed.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, just make sure that the mount has the two shorter legs on the forward end of the bed with the long leg trailing to the rear. This was typical for vehicle mounting but not necessarily absolute. Anything could happen in the field. Still searching for pics of other applications. Nice progress so far. :thumb2: Rick H.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yes, just make sure that the mount has the two shorter legs on the forward end of the bed with the long leg trailing to the rear. This was typical for vehicle mounting but not necessarily absolute. Anything could happen in the field. Still searching for pics of other applications. Nice progress so far. :thumb2: Rick H.
Rick Thanks for the complement and I appreciate your leg work. I will make sure I mount it in the right position. It was a little to cool to paint last night so maybe this evening

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Late war vehicle.....I assume you will base coat it in yellow or dunkel whatever it is......maybe some camo? Don't let JR steer you on to 4BO!! Rick H. :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Late war vehicle.....I assume you will base coat it in yellow or dunkel whatever it is......maybe some camo? Don't let JR steer you on to 4BO!! Rick H. :thumb2:
I think my base coat will be flat charcoal grey my go to primer then Gray with a hint of 4OD but don’t let JR know that he’ll take the credit for the idea lol

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks very good Lee. Generally when hard mounting AA weapons, leveling provisions are made to facilitate traverse. The 2cm is prolly light enough to not require this.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think my base coat will be flat charcoal grey my go to primer then Gray with a hint of 4OD but don’t let JR know that he’ll take the credit for the idea lol
I was just going to suggest that !

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks very good Lee. Generally when hard mounting AA weapons, leveling provisions are made to facilitate traverse. The 2cm is prolly light enough to not require this.
Paul. I figured it was light enough the did use a sled all the time for this one

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Lee!

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. Thanks for the complement

Andrew. Yes it moving right along nicely. Glad your still hanging out.