Lee Drennen’s AM General cargo truck

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
T. Thanks for the complement. I don’t think it’s a headache painting those wheels I find it relaxing to me just depends on the person

Rick. Thanks for the complement I’m glad you’re liking it thishas beena very fun build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Slowdown please Lee.
Just arrived and it's flying along. All wheels touch the floor , most impressed with that and the paint work. Do you put some paint from the can into the AB or just spray from the can. What ever way it looks good .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. It’s about time you show up thanks for the complement and stopping by. I don’t own a good AB I’ve used it a little it’s a very cheap one. I hand painted the tires and rattle canned the sand color.
A4886D59-ECD5-48A1-BFCB-AA02E0186595.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You actually take a paint brush and carefully brush your way around each wheel and tire???? To me that would be mind numbing...........I put mine on an axle and spin them at low rpm in my "little David" beading tool........fast and accurate! Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You actually take a paint brush and carefully brush your way around each wheel and tire????
I do the same. Well, I tend to spray the centres together with the rest of the model, but then paint the tyres by hand — and usually have to touch up the rims because I end up going over them a couple of times. This is made even more fun by my method of painting rubber parts: dark grey followed by a black wash, so I need to paint each tyre at least twice.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve. Thanks I’m getting there

Rick. Yes I’ve done this for many years I started with 1/87 Scale George Barris (sheepscot models) taught me how to do this we used to talk fo hours on the phone a real good friend. These are a walk in the park compared to 1/87 Scale

Jakko. Glad I’m not the only crazy one that does this

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow, I forgot all about this Lee. This one's coming up on its one year anniversary.....but better late than never. She's looking good Lee....you're in the home stretch now. :thumb2: Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just thinking the same as Rick.
Looking a bit of a beast, a real heavy weight truck Lee.
Very nice work .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Completely missed this first time around Lee.

That's coming on very nicely.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick, John, Andy, Tim and Paul. Thanks for the complement and yes thanks for pointing that out Rick I didn’t realize that maybe I can get it done very soon just have a few parts left to go. These are easy to build if anyone is thinking of building one but the prices on these has gone through the roof if you can find them.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Paul. I must be doing something right to get a complement from you it means a lot.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good!