Lee's Rocket/Missile GB, Oct - Dec 2024 Welcome and chat

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome to the GB Chat thread feel free to ask Questions or just talk about our subjects that we’re going to build. You can post what your building here also till the GB gets started. Then I suggest you start your own thread but some where in the title put the GB name so people can find it easier. Thanks for all who have joined.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks for all who has joined so far. You may jump in at anytime to join. Any Missle/ Rocket that can be launched by Aircraft or carried by a Aircraft, Mobile units (Trucks Tanks Cars etc. Civilian included) Man or Towed and Stationary are accepted. This will run from October-December. You can have a small diorama also with your subject. Any Scale, Year, and Era used right up to present day. Must be a Kit or at least Parts unassembled ( This is for the 1/87 scale guys) sprue shots must be taken Subject can not be built no more than 10%. General Group Build rules apply. Here’s the list. If I missed you please let me know.

Me
Jakko
PaulE
Steve (Airborne01
Miko
Si Benson
AndyT
papa 695
Andreas (Vizenz)
Jim R.
SteveT.
Gern&PJ
Jon H.
Allen D.
Steve ( HawerHunter)
PaulTRose.
Dave Ward.
David Lovell

I’ll keep you guys posted about every 3 weeks until we get closer to the start date. Please let me know if you want to join and I’ll get you on the list. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool. Now to think of what I’m going to actually build for this … like I said in the other thread, I have some ideas that should be quick and simple.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yes there’s a lot out there to choose from. I’m going to wait for all you guys first before I decided I’ve got plenty to choose from that way I won’t copy anyone or discouraged them if I happen to pic what they were going to build. And I feel being the Host of the thread it’s the kind thing to do. Yeah it’s a crazy way of thinking but that’s the way I am.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'll get the ball rolling then Lee.

I've always wanted an excuse to build one of these so this GB is the perfect opportunity:

1000008245.jpg

It appears that Revell do a reboxing which has much nicer instructions, including a 3 tone camo scheme, so I'll probably download those.

Edit: In fact I've just found a pre owned Revell on King kit, so have saved a few beer tokens too :cool:

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all who has joined so far. You may jump in at anytime to join. Any Missle/ Rocket that can be launched by Aircraft or carried by a Aircraft, Mobile units (Trucks Tanks Cars etc. Civilian included) Man or Towed and Stationary are accepted. This will run from October-December. You can have a small diorama also with your subject. Any Scale, Year, and Era used right up to present day. Must be a Kit or at least Parts unassembled ( This is for the 1/87 scale guys) sprue shots must be taken Subject can not be built no more than 10%. General Group Build rules apply. Here’s the list. If I missed you please let me know.

Me
Jakko
PaulE
Steve (Airborne01
Miko
Si Benson
AndyT
papa 695
Andreas (Vizenz)
Jim R.
SteveT.

I’ll keep you guys posted about every 3 weeks until we get closer to the start date. Please let me know if you want to join and I’ll get you on the list. Thanks again.
I'm just checking 'cos it's not what I have planned, but would, say, a Swordfish armed with rockets be eligible? I only ask 'cos although it seems to be within the rules, I'm not sure it's in the spirit of what you're looking for Lee.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Count me in. I have a small dio in mind!
You have been add glad to have you.

Swordfish armed with rockets be eligible?
Yes any Aircraft that launches Missles or Rockets. And any time frame. I want this to be fun.

the spirit of what you're looking for Lee.
Gern it is most definitely is. Nothing like a Aircraft loaded up with Rockets or Missles I think this has been over shadowed for years when building Model Aircraft this is why have added them. A small Diorama of a Aircraft being load up with Missles/Rockets would be perfect is someone would do it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Andy has a big one but mine is little :tongue-out3:

1718112765272.jpeg

The kit is hard to get hold of but, searching the web, a shop in Ukraine cropped up. Now UM are made in Ukraine, even with postage it cost about two thirds of UK prices and I'm very glad to support Ukraine in any way possible at this time so I made the purchase. I hope it turns up before October :thinking:

In reality very few of these were built and even fewer saw action. (they were called Calliope which is some sort of musical organ with pipes)

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I hope it turns up before October
If not it’s ok Jim. Nice choice I like these UM models but like you said there getting hard to find. I’ve seen that one a couple times guess I should have bought it.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
309 according to the Revell box!

Not bad for a 1/72 lol

I think half of those might be tyres.... :tears-of-joy:
I find these giant Russian trucks incredibly attractive. However, I have a "zero tolerance for vinyl tracks and wheels" strategy (I've had far too many bad experiences with them!) and so it would be very, very expensive to build such trucks. The resin spare tires usually cost a lot more than the whole kit.

Long story short, I'm looking forward to admiring your build.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been browsing possible models for this, currenly i'm thinking of one of these but as we have a lot of time, I might find more
as I keep looking around for potential subjects to do. I am quite excited about this GB.

_2.png1_.png3_.png

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Lee, Great idea for a GB and the time frame is perfect too. I have a kit I want to build, but it's not really a rocket or a missile. It's one of these,

IMG_3053.JPG
It had a pulse jet motor and had to be launched by a catapult to achieve the speed needed get the pulse motor operating for flight. It was sub-sonic, with a speed around 450 MPH. It's your call and that's why I wanted ask first...

Prost
Allen