Let’s get this Sherman M4A2 out of it’s box

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m probably beating the longest ever build of a kit
Not really, no … I have models I started building 20 or more years ago lying around half-finished, of which I know what I wanted to do with them — and still intend to someday. I’m sure there are people with ones they started in the 1970s that they still plan to finish “soon” :smiling3:

AFC

First Name
Andre
Not really, no … I have models I started building 20 or more years ago lying around half-finished, of which I know what I wanted to do with them — and still intend to someday. I’m sure there are people with ones they started in the 1970s that they still plan to finish “soon” :smiling3:

Thanks! That makes me feel so much better

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andre
Well I reckon this is coming on a treat. Looks great. You're having fun and learning as you go - that's what it's all about.
Jim

Reactions: AFC

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi Andre
Well I reckon this is coming on a treat. Looks great. You're having fun and learning as you go - that's what it's all about.
Jim

Thanks. I am. Enjoying so much that I’m going to do another Sherman…in a near future just wish I had a bit more time for it at this point, but time will come haha

Last edited:

AFC

First Name
Andre
Very Russian looking numbers:thumb2::thumb2:. Weathering looks very good. Hint on lights....if you mount them you should make the lenses look like lenses. It's not easy, but any effort is a bonus. PaulE

Thanks Paul! I'm thinking of painting them "aluminium" or gluing a little bit of plastic with PVA. Would this be the right way? Is there any other trick to make them a bit more real?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Going along nicely Andre. Practice this on something else first Andre, but to mimic lenses on solid plastic some car modellers use Silver paint mixed with gloss white.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Red nail polish works great for tail lights. Mini Me drills out lights & inserts lenses. Some folks paint them & cover w/clear gloss. WWII US armor often didn't mount headlights until needed. PaulE

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Red nail polish works great for tail lights. Mini Me drills out lights & inserts lenses. Some folks paint them & cover w/clear gloss. WWII US armor often didn't mount headlights until needed. PaulE
Hmm, got some red nail varnish - 'glow in the dark' stuff, works ok on the watch bezel that I got it for ;) :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
to mimic lenses on solid plastic some car modellers use Silver paint mixed with gloss white.
I found that it works quite well (on tanks etc.) to paint headlights silver and then add a semicircular patch of white in the lower half, leaving some silver along the edge.

Hmm, got some red nail varnish - 'glow in the dark' stuff, works ok on the watch bezel that I got it for ;) :thumb2:
I wouldn’t use that for taillights on tanks :smiling3: By the way, American tank taillights of the Second World War have only one bit of red:

df_1_b.jpg

The upper, oval part of the left taillight. All the other clear parts are pretty much black when the lights are fitted to the tank.

Last edited: