Liberation, Italy 1944

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Top job, Tim. I didn't think you could improve that model but this will surely do it. Can't wait to see them in place :thumb2:

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks folks.

Well, my Triumph and rider are finished - just some pastel weathering to be added to make him nice and dusty. The dust you see so far is actually a wash from WIlder.

I'm happy with the way he sits on the bike, but deciding to change to right arm so that he holds onto the handle bars was not as easy as I had imagined. Just when everything seemed finished, the arm broke off at the elbow. So I cheated a bit by adding a bandage from Tamiya putty - this guy has clearly taken a spill in search for liberated booze!

The green bottles added to the MiniArt bottle carrier are from Accurate Armour. Although clear plastic, once I put them in place the shadow from the box gave them the illusion of being full. The foil tops are simply brass paint.

So this weekend he is going onto the diorama. I then have one more figure to add, a little water in the culvert and then I'm ready to take this to Telford!

20191031_214112.jpg
20191031_214233.jpg
20191031_214213.jpg
20191031_214134.jpg
20191031_214147.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tim he looks superb. Nice use of a bandage if I tried to modify a figure there would be so much bandage he would look like a mummy.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Top work Tim and good luck at Telford. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nicely bandaged Tim, good luck at Telfords.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It was great to see this build in the flesh at Telford last weekend. It looks even better close up. Congratulations on winning the Silver medal. The Gold winner was top quality work as well but I personnaly thought that you just edged it with your attention to detail. Have you any plans for anothe mammoth project?

DSC09300.JPGDSC09301.JPGDSC09302.JPGDSC09303.JPGDSC09304.JPG

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your kind words.

I was more than happy with SIlver, believe me. And I have absolutely no hard feelings towards the Gold winner. It's all very subjective after all...

In fact, I met the gentleman concerned - Signore Corrado Bragonzi - as I placed my diorama on the Competition table. He told me that he had been following my build on another website with interest. It also turned out that he had entered a Sicily dio a few years ago (a scene with British troops fighting their way up a ruined street with a knocked out Italian tank at the bottom) that I had greatly admired at the time - and I told him that it had been part of the inspiration for my project. Later on I was able to shake his hand and congratulate him on his win.

As for my next 'monster' project... well, it won't be as big as this one, I can assure you! Three years is just too long a time. I'm not sure I will have anything ready for next year, but my next projects are already underway. Without wanting to give too much away: one is set in the Malayan Campaign in late 40 / early 41; the other in the Ardennes. Both will feature Allied / Axis vehicles and figures...

So watch this space!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Tim,
Congratulations on the Silver at Telford, it was a medal that was well deserved having had a good look at your model when you exhibited it at the MAFVA nationals. Go for a hat trick, and take it down to what used to be Euro-Militaire at Folkstone.
Again, well done and superb modelling.
Mike.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dear all,

A belated Happy New Year.

Sorry it has taken me almost 2 months to get around to another post.

Many thanks for all of your kind words. It has been a pleasure to have you all along for the journey and your support (whether it be praise or constructive criticism) has been a great help.

Obviously this one is done and dusted. I will be taking it around more shows here in the UK (in fact, since my last post I managed to sneak another Gold at the London Plastic Model Show).

I also hope to get a friend - who is a professional photographer - to take some decent pics at some point and when I do I will be sure to post them. I also plan to submit an article to a magazine or two - any suggestions?

In the meantime, here are a few more pics of the dio in its final incarnation after I added the motorcycle and rider - and a smashed portrait of Mussolini!

20191108_105552.jpg
20191108_105318.jpg
20191108_105314 crop.jpg
20191108_105239 crop.jpg
20191108_105027.jpg

In the end I DID add some water to the ditch! Because it wasn't in any depth I went for Woodland Scenics Realistic Water - which you simply use straight from the bottle - rather than a two-part epoxy. It was added using a syringe, taking care not to drip any where it wasn't wanted.

As I final touch (to riff on the many sides to 'Liberation') I also placed this totally dejected German beneath the bridge - a beautiful, sad figure from Tank (I think). I gave him Luftwaffe piping to suggest that he had escaped from the car...

20191108_105348.jpg
20191108_105405.jpg

On to the next!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I love this project Tim, very nice work :thumb2: .
The figure under the bridge was a great idea, I think a lot of people during the war must have felt like that, all alone and far from home...

Cheers, Steven

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Great to see this in its final form - the M/c is a nice touch.

Peter