Liberation, Italy 1944

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Gentlemen,

Sorry that I haven't posted for a while. After I missed the (second) deadline for Scale Model World I did slightly take my foot off the gas so to speak. But I have a few updates to post in the next few days.

In the meantime, another image after I tamed some of the vegetation (and added a little more variety of tones for the longer grass).

20181107_231023.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry you missed the Telford deadline. I fell short myself. Maybe we will both make it for next year. Look forward to seeing some more photos soon

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tim,

Excellent work cant wait to see these in place. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Awesome work Tim. You keep raising the bar. You deserve a well earned Christmas break. Take care my friend

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes very nice as Si says .
John .

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dusty Carrier 1.jpg

Dusty Carrier 3.jpg

Dusty Carrier 5.jpg

Dusty Carrier 4.jpg

The Carrier has now acquired more stowage and a coat of dust...

The latter is a variety of pigments, including some authentic Tuscan earth which I brought home from our holiday a couple of year back and grounded down in a coffee blender.

As for the stowage, what you see includes what came with the Riich kit (although weapons have straps added from lead foil or masking tape), additional ammo boxes and petrol cans from the Bronco British Field Accessories Set, more items from Resicast (e.g. crates filled with packs and helmets, etc, dented ammo crates) and, perhaps best of all, Bren ammo boxes and magazines from Ultracast. There are also spent rounds from brass wire snipped to shape.

The no.19 wireless set is fine as it comes, but it needs wiring - so I added mine. I am certainly no expert! The thicker cable, I believe, is the power supply which plugs into the front of the set. The cylindrical object which sits on top comes with the kit - but the instructions don't tell you what it is or where to put it. In fact, it's a 'variometer' and, as you can see in the image below, it usually sits on top of the main set.'

No.19 Wireless installed in Mark II Carrier 2.jpg

There is also a control unit, which is missing from the kit completely. Here's a close-up.

Close up of control unit for No.19 Wireless installed in Mark II Carrier.jpg

No.19 radio set restored wiring diagram 1.jpg

As you can see from the above diagram, the headphones and microphone actually plug into this unit and not directly into the wireless set. I basically copped out by making a carpet (using Tamiya quick dry putty) to cover the rear of the set and the area where the control box would be located - and all my wires conveniently disappear behind it. I used the excuse that the troops would be likely to have some sort of improvised cover to protect the set from the sun and rain...

Carpet over the radio set made from Tamiya Quick Dry putty.jpg

The headphones and microphone also come with the kit. For the wiring I used EZ Line, which is fine, stretchable plastic thread mainly used for rigging ships and aeroplanes.

The aerials / antennae were added from guitar strings. After a little research and help from another site it seems that, among those commonly used on the Carrier, were the thinner variety which came in 4ft lengths (which equates to roughly 3.5 cms in 1/35 scale) and could be screwed into each other. So I went for one 4ft in length and another 8ft. These generally appear to have been straight, not curved, although in videos of carriers on the move they can be seen swinging about considerably!

Finally, everything was painted using either Vallejo or MIG acrylics...

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice attention to detail, these touches separate a great build from a good build

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Words fail me Tim. The level of detailing is stunning. Can it get any better??

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just lovely Tim. Great to see it back in progress.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wow Tim this is simply fantastic! I have just read the entire thread and it is a total masterclass of skill, artistry, ambition and restraint !
Outstanding work on the buildings and landscape, and then you hit us with the detail on the carrier....
RESPECT
I shall be watching this in anticipation from now on
Neil

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi Tim,
Not sure if I've commented or not but I absolutely love this and I've been following it since you started it back on Milmod. Your skill and attention to detail are simply stunning. There are some lovely touches too, I especially like the looted silver candlesticks abandoned beside the Fiat. Obviously too heavy to carry! There are a couple of details missing on the carrier though, you've forgotten to paint the butt plates on the stowed weapons - brass for the SMLE, and steel for the Bren and Thompson. Also the ammo boxes on the rear would have been painted SCC2 Service Brown, not olive drab. I'm not sure why but British ammo boxes were, and still are, painted this colour. The Army doesn't like change! Looking forward to the next installment.

All the best,

Windy

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Topolino looks great in its position, I really like the groundwork too:thumb2:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
What Si said:thumb2::thumb2: Lovin the sunflowers. Much more to be done now??