Liberation, Italy 1944

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for all your kind words...

I've been doing bits and pieces all over the place in recent weeks. Here is a shot which shows progress so far - it should make a good companion to the image at the top of this post.

Overall view post sunflowers 2.jpg

Only the Topolino is permanently fixed in place at this stage. Also the colour and texture of the ground work is slowly changing from left to right as I start to bed things in. There will probably be a little more work with pigments on the vehicles too.

Another overall shot:

Overall view post sunflowers 3.jpg

On the street buildings you will see a few posters have appeared. I especially like the irony of the smiling German holding out his hand with the slogan 'Germans Are Your Friends"!

The lamp is from Reality in Scale. I made life hard for myself because it actually lights up (there are also flickering lights inside the buildings).

Street view posters and sheet.jpg

The little building on the other side of the bridge has also received some posters. These are also specific to the Italian theatre: advertisements seeking labourers for 'Organization Todt'. This is a further irony, because by this stage of the war the Germans were forcibly deporting thousands or Italians for what was little more than slave labour back in the Reich.

The little 'Achtung Minen' sign is virtually a legal requirement for any WWII scenario, in my opinion. It also hints at something beyond the scope of the diorama...

You can also see that I have added some additional texture to the groundwork - this is made up of roots from a house plant ground up in a coffee grinder and scattered before fixing in place with Sand & Gravel fixer.

Close up guard post.jpg

Last edited:

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Gentlemen... very kind.

Anyway...I will get back to the landscape very soon, but first I have to get a move on with my figures.

This is the pair who will be seen walking off the left-hand side of the diorama. As discussed above, they are a modified from a set by Corsar Rex. Both heads are from Hornet.

For the British infantryman's uniform, I mainly used the excellent Life Color WWII British Uniform Set. The German was painted with Vallejo acrylics, as were all the flesh tones.

Insignia is from Archer dry transfers rubbed onto their water-slide sheet and then applied in the usual way. The shoulder flash on the Brit is for the Lancashire Fusiliers made as a composite of two different flashes.

They will need a light spray of matt varnish to tone down the slight sheen.

Anyway, as some of the first figures I have painted since I was 16 I'm fairly happy with these... but, yes, there's room for improvement!

Brit and prisoner 1.jpg
Brit and prisoner 2.jpg

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A couple more of the figures as work in progress.

These are the Italians: a bella donna on the balcony and a Partisan. She still needs some work on her dress and he still has his Sten and tricolour armband to be painted.

Both are modified figures from the wonderful French Mk.35 range.

Bella donna face painted.jpg

Partisan 1.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great figures Tim, I especially like the partisan and his Mk2 Sten. He seems to have that Mark Wahlberg stance and look.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful work Tim.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks folks... (and steady on Mini Me!)

The Partisan now has his tricolour armband, Sten and spare magazine painted. As with all my figures (and pretty much anything else apart from vehicles) I finished him off with a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

Partisan finished 3.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Awesome work Tim!
Now I need a drink

342563;)

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Rick!

More work on the figures...

Priest 1.jpg

The priest (not quite finished - certainly needs a coat of matt varnish) is looking suitably heavenward. Is he giving thanks for his liberation - or asking some tough questions? You decide. He's my favourite Mark35 figure.

Fallen German 2.jpg

Fallen German 1.jpg

And adding to the graver side of the diorama, I have this unlucky German. From Stalingrad Miniatures, he's actually supposed to be a sleeping infantryman. I altered the pose of the right arm a little and cut away some of his marching gear, but otherwise he is as he was. The Corporal's insignia is a Tamiya transfer.

Some may question whether you should show the dead on a diorama. I believe that, so long as it is relatively 'tasteful' (i.e. no, or minimal, gore), it is appropriate.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Tim - my first thought was that he is asleep. Position of head and left arm I think give the impression - not slumped enough if you seen what I mean, look like they are still under muscle control

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tim, I got the same impression as Mr. T. At this point it would be difficult to recreate the pose, but perhaps a little more tatter or dirt to the uniform to lend a more dishevelled look might make it more convincing. Just my thoughts mate, not trying to be nit picky. Cheers, Rick H.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No, you're both quite right. And in real life he would almost certainly have conspicuously rifled pockets.

But that would have taken a lot more work!

I will have some papers and other bits and pieces strewn about, some spent shell casings and probably an abandoned Kar 98K.

Meanwhile, here we have the Lady and the Priest...

The Lady and the Priest.jpg