Life after the Red Baron.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Life after the Red Baron-The Fokker D.VI biplane.

a7c80e00.jpg

For a while now since this model started, I have been looking for a suitable subject to build up from my second kit of parts,well I think I have found an ideal candidate and she sure looks good,my copy of 'Scale Aviation Modeller' magazine perused today while my good wife had her hair done today shows on page 564 the perfect subject ! basically she is a biplane version of the Dr.1 and although only a few were built she is still very worthy of building as a model subject,as the air driers whizzed away in the background,I sketched out a new wing on my ever present trusty sketchbook,once inspiration gets hold of me then there is no stopping me! I think that utilising the existing fuselage and building at least the new top wing a good model would result,so when I have got the Fokker Dr.1 one out of the way this will be built,a bit about the real aircraft is as follows-

This Reinhold Platz designed fighter consisted of a Dr1 fuselage, undercarriage and tail surfaces mated to reduced span D VII wings. Originally the V13/1 had an Oberursel U III and the V13/2 a Siemens – Haske Sh III engine but the D VI standardized on the Oberursel U II 9cyl rotary engine. It had a span of 7.65m and a length of 6.25m and was armed with a pair of 7.92mm machine guns. Only about sixty were produced before production ceased in August 1918 in favor of the D VII.

So it seems she was the interim of the Dr.1 and the highly successful D.VII.

Together a fascinating piece of aviation history that would make a unique subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jock

Wow we are only up to part 35 here in OZ havn't even thought about the next one.