Lifting Paint With Masking

First Name
Gary
I am having an issue with paint lifting after masking with tape. Not pressing too hard on the tape but even with Stynylrez primer its happening. Now I didn't leave the primer for 24 hours which I normally do to be fair. But would a painted matt varnish along the line of masking to seal the paint on to stop this ? Has anyone tried that before ?

It should affect the camoflage I wouldn't have thought. But has anyone any tips please or thoughts

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No, it'll stop the next colour creeping under the tape, but won't stop the primer lifting.
Was the surface cleaned before you applied the Stynylrez?
Pete

First Name
Gary
I cleaned it with IPA. I suspect I hadn't left the primer enough time to cure. Dry yes but not fully cure, I think. 3-4 hours from memory. It's been left overnight now so I'll try again later.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
A few thoughts ... Paint takes a lot longer to cure than to dry. To be safe paint/primer does needs time before masking.
I presume you are using a proper modelling masking tape such as Tamiya. Ordinary masking tape is far to sticky. Even with Tamiya tape some of the tackiness can be removed by pressing the tape onto the back of your hand before using it.
For a clean edge you do need to burnish down the tape edge.
Pete is certainly right regarding cleaning the surface. IPA works, I use lighter fluid.
Jim

First Name
Gary
Thanks guys. I have just bought some Tamiya tape and will take the advice on reducing the tack. Makes sense. I have been using generic modelling masking tape.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Its a real b****r when that happens. This was my Cyber Hobby 1/72 Sea Vixen, after peeling masking off!!!
vixen peeling.JPG
This seemed to be a combination of AK primer & Hataka white - not good enough surface cleaning - insufficient primer drying time.
Rather than strip all the paint off, I used wet & dry to remove the edges of the bald spots, then resprayed. The Sea Vixen is still on the pending shelf..................
Dave

First Name
Gary
I can think of a few Anglo Saxon words for that. I went down the 1500 W&D as well to smooth the edges of my "tear". Luckily it wasn't a huge area and has reprimed OK.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Its a real b****r when that happens. This was my Cyber Hobby 1/72 Sea Vixen, after peeling masking off!!!
View attachment 373017
This seemed to be a combination of AK primer & Hataka white - not good enough surface cleaning - insufficient primer drying time.
Rather than strip all the paint off, I used wet & dry to remove the edges of the bald spots, then resprayed. The Sea Vixen is still on the pending shelf..................
Dave
OUCH!

Should have read ALL the posts before replying! Sorry Jim. Not trying to copy you - honest!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That masking disaster deserves all the "ouches" it can get :smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
When I started to peel off the masks, and the paint started lifting - I tried to think of a way to stop it - the only solution I could think of was to soak the whole thing in warm soap water, in the hope that would soften & release the masking tape adhesive. I went on peeling the masks - the damage had already been done - after all, how bad could it get? The picture tells you how bad!
Dave