Light Tank Mk VIB (Desert)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work as always Mike. The tank is looking the DB's.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Construction is now at an end. The build is as far as I want it to go before I start to prime and paint.
finbld1.jpg
finbld2.jpg
finbld3.jpg
finbld4.jpgfinbld5.jpg
And there you have it...
Did I enjoy the build, I can honestly say that I did, as always adding my own little bits to a build gives me the satisfaction I want from a model. The other satisfying part is that this is not for a competition, so the problem of time has not come into the build. I am now going to make a choice for the colour scheme overnight and once the priming has been done then set to work on that, but you can bet the base colour will be light stone....
Cheers,
Mike.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike what do you mean no competition I've just got a crate of ginger beer and two packets of crisps in to celebrate the gone you're gonna win. Where's that receipt, back down to the corner shop to see if I can get my money back.
Pete.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike what do you mean no competition I've just got a crate of ginger beer and two packets of crisps in to celebrate the gone you're gonna win. Where's that receipt, back down to the corner shop to see if I can get my money back.
Pete.
LOL.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
The rain has decided to take a day off, so it was a case of get the dogs out and get some 'fresh' air in the lungs. Went down the local park and there were the Sunday league limbering up for their game, so Mavis the Basset decided to do some limbering up of her own and marked the centre spot for them :poop:...
On the return out came the Iwata and the spray booth ready for some action.
Colour - the obvious choice was of course the Caunter scheme - but everyone does that... So I have decided on painting the vehicle a little later, early 1941 when the y basic colour was Portland Stone / Light Stone shade. I plumped for the Portland Stone with the White/Red/White identifying stripe on all four sides - the Red Jerboa and little else.
Painting. I started off with AK grey surface primer, but for some reason the bottle I had seemed to take on a life of its own and started to do peculiar things when contacting the model surface. So it was a quick wash down with Ultimate Airbrush Cleaner and then once dry i used the Ultimate primer which went on and settled like a dream. 24 hours later I got out the AK Real Colours RC041 Portland Stone and mixed a ratio of 70% paint/30% AK thinners at a guess and sprayed it at about 22psi. And the end result is very pleasing to the eye and matches the Mike Starmer paint chip to a 'T'.
basecol2.jpg
And for a close up ...
basecol1.jpg
And now it is sit back time and develop the crew...
Cheers,
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike no metal primer on the PE ?
Looks good, though a shame to cover all the PE up.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike no metal primer on the PE ?
Looks good, though a shame to cover all the PE up.
John,
I have always used the old traditional passed down from great great grandfather to great grandfather to grandfather to father to son (if you think I am putting commas in there forget it...) method of car primer on the metal/model as described on page 30,0011/2, 'The Dark Side of Modelling' handbook, this is the elusive copy and not the shortened version with the sub edit of 'Just slap it on...'
But have been reading / watching a lot of modellers and they now reccomend that you use the Surface primers - not to be confused with normal primer. And as it was 'ing it down with rain - the can of primer was up the garden in the man shed, and Yvonne refused point blank to go get it for me.... well I thought, I can either wait till summer or try this method out, and it appears to work. Not so sure about brush painting it but spray is ok.
So not much more being done tonight, as we are waiting for darkness and then we are going out pushing political leaflets through poor unsuspecting peoples doors, now that should make for some interesting conversations and new words learned... I will contact you for the bail and where it is to be delivered...

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Scottie, SimonT and Pete,
Many thanks for your kind comments.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
And a bit more work done today as in detail painting and adding some of the stowage. Finally fitted the suspension and lined up everything hopefully...
detail1.jpg
detail2.jpg
detail3.jpg
detail4.jpg
Still some more work to do, touch up painting here and there, tracks/drive sprocket to add and then give the whole model a wash to tone down the colours.
Hope you enjoy,
Cheers
Mike.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike this is coming to gether very nicely indeed, not sure about those skinny wheels and suspension.
Pete. :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike out of curiosity how much did this little beasty weight.
Pete :nerd:.