Light Tank Mk.VIB, Western desert, Spring, 1941.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
The title says it all so I will just go ahead and add the photo's.

fin2.jpg
fin3.jpg
fin4.jpg
Really did not like the kit spring, so changed it for one of my own construction along with the cable for the radio.
fin13.jpg
fin10.jpg
The stowage on the rear was first made from a piece of screwed up tin foil which was then 'beaten' into shape. This was then covered with a sheet made from some plain tissue that is well guarded against infitrators (SWMBO). the 'rope' came from a length of thread pre painted before being attached. These two were first trated with a diluted mix of white pva and water, with the canvas allowed to dry and painted before the 'rope' was added using the same method. Thr 'flimsy' cans are from resin cast by myself. I seem to remember that number plates back in the day were made from tin sheet or aluminium with the registration embossed onto them. The backing colour was black and the numbers/letters were left in the 'silver' colour. To replicate this I used some AA brass letters, painted the whole in matt black and then dry brushed over the letters/numbers with aluminium.
fin5.jpg
fin11.jpg
The exhaust as you may remember was not the kit version but scratchbuild from tube. Once primed this was then sponge dabbed randomly with rust colours of varous hues.
fin6.jpg

fin8.jpg
fin12.jpg
The fire extinguisher was scratchbuilt from plastic rod with copper rings to simulate the strengthening ribs. The shovel is a resin one, where from ??? The starting handle is scratchbuilt with the prominent cutouts that engaged the lower pully lugs to crank the engin over. I wanted to depict the tow rope as an item that has seen better days, this was achieved by teasing out thin strands of the thread which were held in place when the 'rope' was soked in white pva. The hooks are scratch built from copper wire.
fin9.jpg
The tool box came from the etch set, and it was screaming out to be distressed, to show that in the dessert paint did not last long on wood. I also wanted to show the frame that has had a better life along with the broken locks both on the box and on the metal stowage box above it.
fin14.jpg
Finally the dreaded suspension, straight from the box except with the addition of a 'real' spring as opposed to the etch version...
And that is it, I hope you have enjoyed the tour and the pics.
Regards
Mike.

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice work Mike. Brimming with details and lovely dusty weathering :smiling4::thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Nice work Mike. Brimming with details and lovely dusty weathering :smiling4::thumb2:
Hello Si,
Many thanks, forgot where we were for a moment, getting old...
Mike.

D

Deleted member 6559

Stunning Mike Each surface looks like what it's meant to be - painted metal, rubber, wood, tarp. Brilliant, believable weathering.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike stunnig build love the dusty weathering are you making a base for it ?

Pete :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Neil, Peter Day, Scottie, Jon, Big Greg, Simon T, Pete Low and Andy,
I have grouped you all together to say thanks to you all together to say thankyou to you all for your kind comments and praise. I have given you all a like to show that I have read your comments.
Pete, The model will be going on a base, I have some on order - too bloody cold to work in the man shed, brrrrrr! The dust pigment was from AK (AK041) North Africa Dust - you do not need a lot, I put about half a teaspoon on the pallet and did not even use a quarter of that, it goes down that well.
Once again many thanks to you all.
Regards
Mike.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You've done that one proud Mike

Lee

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Stillp,and Lee W,
many thanks for your comments.
Cheers,
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

. Outstanding! And your additions really take it to the next level!!

Well done.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike,
what a fantastic result! It's an awkward little kit, but you have turned it into a real beauty.
Are you planning any occupants?
Dave