Lighting

First Name
Gary
Changing my study around to accomodate a small desk for modelling and I wanted a clamp/clip on desk lamp and LED would be nice but it needs to be bright. But then I thought does anyone here use anything similar. I think a bright light is essential and where I work at the moment is fine but the new desk will be on the other side of the room and needs a good light. The ones that clamp on a desk edge are ideal and it can be USB powered or mains. Plenty on Amazon but it a long job filtering out the low powered ones and a lot of them don't even say how many lumens they are. I reckon 470-600 would give a good light.

Has anyone any suggestions please ?

D

Deleted member 7181

Because of the low ceiling in my shed I get away with a couple of LED battens just above me, but for movable work lamps I bought me & my lad an IKEA Tertial then found some bright bulbs from Amazon (I think). I went for the spiral CFL type as they tend to have a better colour rendition than most LEDs

There are much better lights out there but I found it a good budget option to get me going.

First Name
Gary
It's only a light after all so I'm happy with a budget model and for £9 whats not to like. I have a few CFL bulbs of various lumens so a trip to my local Ikea is called for. Thanks Andy

First Name
Gary
I put those on my engineers benches for component level PCB repairs a few years ago. or at least the earlier model, I'm sure they were Clarke lamps. Most of the guys had two. Like Andy says the CFL lamps. basically fluorescent light is better because its a white light and less shadows unlike normal, even LED, lamps. I'll bear that one in mind as well but the Ikea one is worth a punt for £9 as well

D

Deleted member 7181

I bought a Clarke desk mounted lamp from Machine Mart over a decade ago. They have gone up in price from when i bought it but it's invaluable for painting cockpit instruments and other small things. I got a deal at the time to swap the bulb or a daylight bulb. Best thing i did.
One of my buddies at work is looking for a magnifying lamp like that for his die cast work (customhotwheelsuk on Instagram), never thought about machine mart!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
I have a Triple Bright
P1010297(1).JPG
P1050173.JPG
Daylight light, large area and clamps to the desk. Not cheap though. HERE (This is a replacement for the Daylight Triple Bright Lamp D32500 which I have. Presumably it is just a slightly improved model)

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I use an angle poise lamp with daylight bulbs, bought from hobbycraft, let's you work at night when painting, colors look better.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have the same one as Jim - the daylight colour rendering means paint colours look like they should. It is a great light

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Gary,

I'm with Jim and Simon and have the same lamp only with different packaging,

IMG_1619.JPG
I think the next 2 pics made the purchase most worthwhile. With the old lamp,

IMG_1617.JPG
And with the LED lamp, we have this,

IMG_1618.JPG
It wasn't cheap, but well worth the investment………….

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Plus one on the triplebright from me. Fantastic light, and stays where you put it. Also runs cool, unlike halogens and incandescent bulbs. My best single modelling purchase over the years.

D

Deleted member 7181

And here's the Yorkshire version of that light :smiling5:

O867pdU.jpg

Only the finest Screwfix daylight LED batten, suspended from the ceiling by height adjustable tension bands (ok, it's string), variable output (either on or off) and guaranteed to be right in your way with the magnifiers on.

Works for me for now but I do like the look of those Triple lamps.

First Name
Gary
I think the key is bright, not a mid bright but properly bright and that daylight element. My study doesn't get any direct sunlight so I have two small lamps at the moment to add to the room lights. So I think I will have to have a good look at those larger daylight solutions.

I like those random sprue decorations Andy. I bet Christmas is fun in your house

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, thanks. Keeps them off the bench but close to hand.

For future I've been looking at putting a large shelf above the bench for storage with one or two of the flat panel LED luminaires underneath it. They should give a good area light with no shadows. I've seen similar done with several strips of LED tape and that's another option.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thing is that shadows are sometimes a good thing. How else is it possible to highlight uneven surfaces without putting a primer on it? I find that if light is too bright then it can mask/hide some glaring errors

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The important thing is the daylight colour rendering - they have a colour correlated temperature of around 6500degK, which is like natural daylight. It means the colours you see when you paint are pretty much the same as looking at the colours naturally in daylight

My old lamp had warm white lamps with a CCT of 2800degK which skewed the colours I was seeing as that is towards the warm, redder end of the spectrum

As nicely demonstrated by Allen’s pictures

D

Deleted member 7181

Agreed for some situations Alan. That's why I have my angle pose light off to the side at the minute. I can turn off the overheads and shine across the surface which really highlights any issues.

CRI is also quite an important factor too Simon. A light with a low Colour Rendering Index like a cheap LED only outputs certain parts of the visible spectrum, altering the apparent colour of the item it illuminates. A CRI over 90 ( out of 100) is considered as pretty accurate.

First Name
Gary
Too bright just washes everything out as Al says and the important is that CRI rating for daylight is the most important. Getting the balance right is key. Whilst I check out those excellent Natural light fittings I will get one of those Ikea Tertial £9 angle poise and a single daylight E27 led bulb as a short term solution. I do like those Natural Light lamps though and £100 is not bad when your eyes are affected