Lindberg 1/48 S.E.5A (My first build!)

A

AceAndroid

Hello everyone!

Today I finally got around to finishing the paint on my S.E.5A. It is not the first model I have built, but the first one I have completed with paint and weathering. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially since I had no idea what I was doing half the time and used a lot of non-model-specific paints because I'm a cheapskate. I still technically have to spray it with a matte finish, but it's close to being done!

With the (near) completion of this biplane, I wanted to share some photos. They don't do it justice, I fear, but it's close enough.

Here is a top view. I had some trouble with the decals on the wings, so I covered up the torn places with a light wash, making it look like it was battle damaged.

5lgaKiy.jpg

I managed to achieve some nice weathering and rust effects on the rivets!

LWE29Jt.png

TO2obnQ.png

This is the part I am most proud of. The propeller actually looks like wood of some sort! :smiling3:

FgE9CzI.jpg

The kit also came with some rigging wires, but I am not sure how to attach them yet. I've read a few tutorials involving drilling through the wings, but I am too scared to try that at present! :o

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice. Rigging will make all the difference. Be brave, have a go.

F

Fenlander

Not an easy subject but you are making a great job of it. Rigging wires are always a tricky thing. I am sure there are more experienced than me with them but I usually just attach with a drop of superglue but they do have to be cut exactly to length.

D

Deleted member 4539

Nice work for a first completed build.

Onwards and upwards as some say:smiling3:.

A

andyrobs

That's very nice for your first completed build.

Cheers, Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hello everyone!
Today I finally got around to finishing the paint on my S.E.5A. It is not the first model I have built, but the first one I have completed with paint and weathering. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially since I had no idea what I was doing half the time and used a lot of non-model-specific paints because I'm a cheapskate. I still technically have to spray it with a matte finish, but it's close to being done!

With the (near) completion of this biplane, I wanted to share some photos. They don't do it justice, I fear, but it's close enough.

Here is a top view. I had some trouble with the decals on the wings, so I covered up the torn places with a light wash, making it look like it was battle damaged.

View attachment 152856

I managed to achieve some nice weathering and rust effects on the rivets!

View attachment 152857

View attachment 152858

This is the part I am most proud of. The propeller actually looks like wood of some sort! :smiling3:

View attachment 152859

The kit also came with some rigging wires, but I am not sure how to attach them yet. I've read a few tutorials involving drilling through the wings, but I am too scared to try that at present! :eek:
That looks pretty good to me! Some rigging would improve it a lot. Phil Flory has a full build video of a Swordfish on his website and gives some useful hints and tips about rigging which is well worth checking out.

A

AceAndroid

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone! :smiling3:

\ said:
Not an easy subject but you are making a great job of it. Rigging wires are always a tricky thing. I am sure there are more experienced than me with them but I usually just attach with a drop of superglue but they do have to be cut exactly to length.
Oh, that's a good way to do it! That certainly would avoid the issue of possibly cracking the wings with my newb-ish drilling abilities. I think I'll give that a shot.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Really decent first complete build, you should be proud!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely weathered, loving the propeller. Good work, you're well on your way to doing great things as this is your first model.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one, a bit of rigging can add so much detail. An no embarrassing trips to A & E with a bi-plane stuck to your arm.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work with this one,do like  the last pic with the added rigging,make all the differences well done, :D

First Name
Gwyn
I love these old biplanes and you should be proud of this one.