Liquid mask

O

Oggy

Which one do you use and how do you clean the brush afterwards?

I am currently using the Mig Abteilung one (all I could find) and I find the only thing I can get it to stick to really is the brush.

Could just be me though. :confused:

D

dubster72

I've used Maskol before, cleaned up with white spirit. I wouldn't use it's again though, I didn't get on too well with it!

Cheers

Patrick

T

tecdes

Roger I tried turps, alcohol (using this stuff you need a drink as well) & cellulose thinners & nail varnish remover. Not worked so I gave up using the stuff as not only is it difficult to clean it smelt horrible & found it was not much good at least for me. Found it difficult to see if you have covered all that you need to.

Laurie

G

Gomer Pyle

I've also used Maskol and tried cleaning it with cellulose thinners - didn't work too well. Like Patrick, Maskol and I also had a strained relationship. I've also used natural latex which dissolves well in warm water, as long as I rinse the brush every 10 sec. it wouldn't "fur-ball" the bristles. This stuff I like, it doesn't react with any of the paints or decals I've used, it drys in seconds and is very easy to pull for again. Only issues I've had is that it can have a tendency to produce "jaggies", I think this is because it's so thin and is often pulled away from under the paint in some places when removed. I bought a bottle with about 250ml in a textile/knitting shop (girlfriends LHS) for an amount equal to £5. They apparently use it to paint non-skid patches on knitted slippers - who would have guessed?

/Daniel

C

Caledonia

Hi Roger, I have only used Maskol with a tooth pick or a scrap piece of wood for masking wheel bays etc. An alternative product you can use with a brush is Winsor & Newton's - Water Colour - 'Art Masking Fluid' available from art shops and W H Smith. The bottle says brushes can be cleaned immediately with soapy water although I have never tried it, again I use a throw away tooth pick or scrap wood. I use Tamiya Masking tape for cockpits etc. Cheers Derek

I

Ivor100

Hi, I use Vallejo liquid mask (blue colour), washes off brush nicely with warm water and washing up liquid. I remove it after use with a solid lump of itself as a kind of rubber. Cheers, Ivor

D

dubster72

Actually, rather than use a liquid mask, have you tried white tack or silly putty? If it's a hard edged camo pattern you're doing, then white tack works well. I've used it with good results.

R

Richy C

Although I`ve only tried the humbol stuff it put me right off ruined a good brush , prefer now to use either blue or white tac if I`ve got it , or for feathered edges I go free hand with the ab , saying that if the vallejo stuff can be cleaned off with water I might give it another go

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Haven't used the stuff for years but anything with ammonia in it will dissolve most liquid masks.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Using Maskol on top klear will ruin the varnish under it due to the ammonia content. Ask me how i know ;)

A

andygh

\ said:
Hi, I use Vallejo liquid mask (blue colour), washes off brush nicely with warm water and washing up liquid. I remove it after use with a solid lump of itself as a kind of rubber. Cheers, Ivor
Me too, no problems cleaning up and good stuff too

In the past when I've used Maskol i always applied it with a toothpick

K

kaiyudsai

I made the mistake of using this stuff on top of acrylic paint...... to mask off some white panels on my Flanker..... it peeled up all my paint.... its a mess... and now I have to make storage covers for those panels ..... ALot of work in this build just to have something so simple go so wrong..... Ive never been a fan of acrylics.....