Lithophanes..................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
According to Wikipedia "A lithophane is a thin plaque of translucent material, normally porcelain], which has been moulded to varying thickness, such that when lit from behind the different thicknesses show as different shades, forming an image. Only when lit from behind does the image display properly. They were invented in the 19th century and became very popular, typically for lampshades, nightlights, or to be hung on windows. They could also be given stands, to be placed in front of a light source"
I'd seen some of these on Thingiverse, so I decided I'd see if I could FDM print one The first attempt failed, it came off the build plate, they're thin & don't have much contact area, so I tweaked various settings, and
DSCF4421.JPG
DSCF4422.JPG
Four hours of printing,thinking that any moment, it's going to come adrift!
DSCF4426.JPG
This is what it looks like under normal light................

And against my living room light
DSCF4428.JPG
And against my emergency LED lantern
DSCF4430.JPG
Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones.
I'm trying to create my own, using a free program from the internet, not quite as simple as I thought - my first attempt was too thin & had holes in it! - another attempt being made.
I first saw a lithophane in the bottom of a George V Coronation Teacup from 1910. It was one of several that my maternal grandmother had - all chipped & some missing their handles. On her death, one in pretty good condition passed to my mother. Sadly my mother developed dementia, and she was obsessed with 'tidying' things up. A couple of Clarice Cliff ceramics - and the teacups were disposed of - no idea where......................... The saddest thing we found was that all the family photo albums had been tidied. The albums, with carefully annotated pictures ( in white ink ) had all the pictures removed & put in a tin box the albums discarded. We have all the family photos, going back to the 1890's - several hundred - but no idea of dates, or who any of the people are. All those generations have passed & now they're just nameless
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That lithophane is very clever and a successful print. I've not heard of it before so I've learned something new.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave
That part about the items thrown away rings true, my late mother in law who also had dementia.
She would throw any thing away , hide things .
Photos ripped in half . All very sad.

Think that Lithophane is brilliant, like Jim I'd never heard of it either. Well done .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Printer finished this late last night
DSCF4433.JPG
HMS Goliath 1898.
Selecting a picture is important, it must have good contrast, and not too much fussy detail. You can use any photo you like, but the LithoPhane Maker only uses .png files! What you should not do is scale the 'phane down to fit on the build plate - this scales everything down, and the background becomes too thin to print correctly, and you get holes!
I won't be doing any more Lithophanes. it was just a diversion to see what was doable!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Printer finished this late last night
View attachment 483116
HMS Goliath 1898.
Selecting a picture is important, it must have good contrast, and not too much fussy detail. You can use any photo you like, but the LithoPhane Maker only uses .png files! What you should not do is scale the 'phane down to fit on the build plate - this scales everything down, and the background becomes too thin to print correctly, and you get holes!
I won't be doing any more Lithophanes. it was just a diversion to see what was doable!
Dave
Fascinating stuff. Never heard of them before.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This was the original photo
GOLIATH.jpg
The lithopane I printed was 100 X 50mm - that took around 7 hours to print - any larger - it's the square of the area ( ie if you double the dimensions, then it will take four times as long! ) Not exactly a speedy process - although it should be possible to create a silicone mould, and using casting resin to make duplicates! ( Your mind sometimes goes along these routes! )
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's come out very well Dave, very effective, shame about the family photos though.

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's come out very well Dave, very effective, shame about the family photos though.

ATB

Andrew
Andrew,
the family pictures were only part of the story - all my photographs taken during my time in the Merchant Navy were disposed of. A bitter blow, but my own fault, assuming they'd be safe in the loft at the family home..........................:crying:
Dave