Live at the dock yard, me hearties!

First Name
Carl
was
Right, better, but not 100%
View attachment 411942
View attachment 411943

Just used tape and not a lot of paint along the tape edge, just got to touch up now

Then the deck, will practice on card using the varnish method
looking good to me Bob, touching up the odd seep isn’t so bad, it’s when it’s all the way along like mine was.
Once you’ve got the hull to your liking it’ll feel like a weight lifted,
I know it did for me, feel like I can move forward again rather than two steps back.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
was

looking good to me Bob, touching up the odd seep isn’t so bad, it’s when it’s all the way along like mine was.
Once you’ve got the hull to your liking it’ll feel like a weight lifted,
I know it did for me, feel like I can move forward again rather than two steps back.
Too true, but long enough at 1 600 lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Right, better, but not 100%
View attachment 411942
View attachment 411943

Just used tape and not a lot of paint along the tape edge, just got to touch up now

Then the deck, will practice on card using the varnish method
BUT ACCEPTABLE with a little touch up Bob see we said u
I don’t know about you Bob but I reckon these Ship builders should make a tank now to even the balance.lol
WOT NO WAY FOR ME if i did one it would be tomorrow LOL an i have built two tiger tanks so that lets me out lol
chris
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Bob and Carl, the hair on my arm stood on ends when I saw the paint creeps and it's basically down to poor cutting of masking tape and application. It can be remedied easily even if you use a paint brush to paint. Tamiya tape if cut properly and pressed down on smooth clean surfaces seldom have paint creep. I have sweaty hands and nothing tapes if I have handled it so the less I touch those areas that need masking the better this includes handling the adhesive part of the tape so I use forceps when taping.

You first need a very clean dust free top to cut your tape on. I prefer glass or smooth tiled surface. I do not use the edge of the tape straight from the roll as it would have picked up fluff, fur or dust. Tape a long length on the cleaned surface, measure the thickness of the boot and cut the strips with a new blade and also the ends of the tape. I would paint the black boot first then anchor one end of the tape and then pull the tape half way on the hull and press down...it should give you a straight line. Check to see by looking along the hull from the anchored point if its straight. Proceed with the next half to the stern. With the tip of your nail, burnish the edges down. Now you can roughly mask either the top or bottom using the boot strip of mask as the border between the two painted hulls. You can save masking tape by re-using the upper or lower mask by removing and switching places.

Bottom are examples of some masking...

fok00021.jpg

This would be an example of pre-masking the stripe before applying the main color just like the hull below where the black boot is masked over...

G120.jpg

Below the white strip was masked over then green lower hull painted then masked over for the upper grey hull to create the thin strip of grey between the white and green.

SSU006.jpg

Below is a simple mask over the red lower hull using the width of the tape as a guide for an even straight line.

453976.jpg

Same methods used for both the tug and USS Constipation...

tb20.jpgUSS006.jpg

So Bob, please carry on... if a guy like me with sweaty palms can do this... you can. Sorry if I have hijacked your thread.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a problem, very much appreciate you taking the time to help us!

I HAVE to sort this problem out, with a few ships in the dockyard!

Cheers bob

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
I can offer no advice at all i am afraid, I have only ever built one ship and that was a long long time ago.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
She’s coming along really well now Bob. Crisp looking paint job is making her look shipshape and Bristol fashion.
Cheers Tim, could be better, do not look to close lol!

Been a big learning curve, need to up my game for the KGV

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I find paint seepage is caused by too thick a layer of paint going down at once. I now spray on thin layers letting them dry fully between each coat and I no longer have the problem.

You have a lot of builds on the go at the moment and learning a lot. Looks like you are having a lot of fun. Keep it coming my friend.