Live at the dock yard, me hearties!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well I for one admire you stepping out from something you know and love into the world of floaty things, Is Chris responsible for all this I wonder ?
HI John i bear no responsibilty for this when he first told me i thought it was a wind up for a month or more till Bob actually shew the kit an then he says lets have a vote on which one he should build SO from bein stug crazy to ships i think he's had a brain tilt lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
See Chris, another one has fallen to the spell !
YEA John another one gone over to the floaty things you will be next lol its a very powerfull spell now you see why its had me for 30 odd yrs in its grip an i cant break free lol
chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI G/M Bob regards this grey paint on warships an before you do this lovely KGV after a stug this is my recormendation i know i build fairly modern warships but to me the right colour is humbroll matt light grey no. 64 as when i was in NMBC there were several people building different types of warships an the right colour grey was disscussed a lot an lookin right an we all bought pics in on this warship grey that the R/N uses an we all found that this colour was the closeses colour grey to being right as in all the different pics the grey looks diffenent an caused quite a bit of disscushion as its all to do with the sun light shineing on the ship as if a dull day then the grey looks grey but you get the sun shineing on the ship an the grey shows a grey bluleish tinge an yes its a trick of the light but it happens even on my models when on the pond just thought id mention this before you start that beautfull TAMIYA KGV
Chris

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well started on the boot topping on one side and it looks terrible, almost sent nelson to the bin:angry: i should have used one long length of masking tape as theres a lot of overspill, i have touched up as best i can.

Have done the other side with a long length and left to dry. So annoying but all part of learning, never masked a StuG lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well started on the boot topping on one side and it looks terrible, almost sent nelson to the bin:angry: i should have used one long length of masking tape as theres a lot of overspill, i have touched up as best i can.

Have done the other side with a long length and left to dry. So annoying but all part of learning, never masked a StuG lol
WELL come on boyo an lets see it as its all part of the learnin tecknquie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Right removed the full length strips of tamiya masking tape
20210121_145406.jpg
20210121_145416.jpg
20210121_145420.jpg

About 50% not bad, will try to touch up the bleed, thanks to Dave' post on using varnish to control bleed, i will practice on scrap card.

I know i should have sanded off the raised boot topping lines, but this is total practice build and it certainly shown i need it :sad: Bit cheesed off as i must have not thinned the paint enough and put to much on the tape edge, bugger!!

First Name
Carl
Right removed the full length strips of tamiya masking tape
View attachment 411663
View attachment 411664
View attachment 411665

About 50% not bad, will try to touch up the bleed, thanks to Dave' post on using varnish to control bleed, i will practice on scrap card.

I know i should have sanded off the raised boot topping lines, but this is total practice build and it certainly shown i need it :sad: Bit cheesed off as i must have not thinned the paint enough and put to much on the tape edge, bugger!!
If it helps mine went sideways too. I’ve been rubbing it down and will have to start all the hull painting again. Just slightly annoyed, understatement.
these boats are very testing. Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
If it helps mine went sideways too. I’ve been rubbing it down and will have to start all the hull painting again. Just slightly annoyed, understatement.
these boats are very testing. Bob
BUT THATS all the challnges eh of beating the odds come on you guys you can do it dont be down hearted how about a 6ft hull line like on my norfolk on both side 12 ft altogeather so you guys can do it
chris

First Name
Carl
BUT THATS all the challnges eh of beating the odds come on you guys you can do it dont be down hearted how about a 6ft hull line like on my norfolk on both side 12 ft altogeather so you guys can do it
chris
Fortunately I’m not one to give up without a good fight first.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Feel for you Bob, just when things are going right the paint causes a step back. Annoying to say the least, don't give up mate , touch it up and carry on please.

When I looked at the first photo you'd covered the StuG up like a butter dish ! Trying to hide it I know;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LET ME just say this Carl an Bob you just want to get the boot line to look nice dont you eh an you are doin this paint thining why ? as i dont really know about how Carl is doin his ship as i cant at the moment of writeing this remember which ship he's doin but you Bob are usein brush painting yea ? if ive got that right ?

well this is just my opinion but just use the paint like humbroll straight from the tin an useing tamyia yellow masking tape 2mm wide press this tape down fully with your finger tip an i use my nails to press it into any resses an the paint the red bottom first an then mask up again an then paint the hull humbroll no. 64 matt light grey an when you done all that you will have a hull painted red bottom an grey top an yes there propberly will be a slight edge to the paint

but the usein a very fine sandpaper gently rub off the paint edge an when done that both sides then again uesin the tamyia yellow tape mask up the thickness of you water boot line an again pressing the tape down very tightly so no gaps when you are sure the just brush paint the water line on the hull ive done this on severall plastic ship models an yes i admit that there maybe one or two silght areas where the black paint has gotten under the tape but only one or two which are easy too touch up

as YES i aggree its a lot of work guys but that the whole idea for me anyway its modeling an just think on my tiger its 8ft long so both sides will put the paint length to 16ft im not trying to brag here but for me thats what has to be done if i want the model to be finished but im sure it will come out ok you just got to have confidence in yourselves thats my two pennyth worth on the subject
chris ps a shot of my HMS NORFOLK 'S boot line
IMG_3721.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN my apolagies Carl for not remembering which ship you are doin an ive now looked an its HMS DREADNOUGHT isn't it
chris

Last edited:
First Name
Carl
AN my apolagies Carl for not remembering which ship you are doin an ive now looked an its HMS DREADNOUGHT isn't it
chris
Hey, don’t worry, I’ve gone off topic so
Many times I can just about remember myself. This ones turning into a bit of an education .
Sadly for me I used some varnish which obviisly went on too runny which then run under the tape and left sticky shiny streaks at every spar it passed over, consequently I had to run it all off which trying to rub around tiny soars was not easy.
i e now sprayed a few coats of black to get the coverage back in and use as a base for the main hull colours and as the pin stripe itself. However, despite not being able to feel by hand the previous mess I can stll
See within the black paint marking from the disaster. Hopefully this will not show when the main hull colours are done.
65C0A66E-99F9-4E74-848A-6C05858AE685.jpegimage.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's cleaned back well Carl, think we all look at things far to close sometimes, its just wanting to get it right, and nothing wrong with that is there.