Live at the dock yard, me hearties!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hey, don’t worry, I’ve gone off topic so
Many times I can just about remember myself. This ones turning into a bit of an education .
Sadly for me I used some varnish which obviisly went on too runny which then run under the tape and left sticky shiny streaks at every spar it passed over, consequently I had to run it all off which trying to rub around tiny soars was not easy.
i e now sprayed a few coats of black to get the coverage back in and use as a base for the main hull colours and as the pin stripe itself. However, despite not being able to feel by hand the previous mess I can stll
See within the black paint marking from the disaster. Hopefully this will not show when the main hull colours are done.
View attachment 411818View attachment 411819
Feel your pain too Carl! You can sort it!

Giving me nightmares. Right two coats on the hull, not the right colour but just want to get this croc finished. Its then either being binned or hidden deep in the garage

20210122_171531.jpg

You can see the raised line but past caring lol

I need to have a good long think about starting the KGV, so annoyed about this build, also thought i had sorted out the hull seams but no they are there for all to see. Been very dissapointing for me. After working on trucks worth £100000 with complex systems and cannot build a plastic ship right, aarrgghh

Off to look a StuG lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Feel your pain too Carl! You can sort it!

Giving me nightmares. Right two coats on the hull, not the right colour but just want to get this croc finished. Its then either being binned or hidden deep in the garage

View attachment 411866

You can see the raised line but past caring lol

I need to have a good long think about starting the KGV, so annoyed about this build, also thought i had sorted out the hull seams but no they are there for all to see. Been very dissapointing for me. After working on trucks worth £100000 with complex systems and cannot build a plastic ship right, aarrgghh

Off to look a StuG lol
Bob dont you dare bin this remember this is your first attempt an as little Sue said to me Rome was'nt built in a day or yrs an i think you are bein to critical of your self Bob now remove your tape when the red is dry then an then paint the grey an when they are both dry then sand the ridge off if it annoys you an then tape up your boot line an remove when the black boot line is dry an hopefully it will be vallayay you've done it but remember when fitting boot line yellow maskin tape press it all down firmly
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, calm down, turn on, tune in, chill out.....it’s only paint on plastic. Nobody has been hurt.
Don’t quit though Bob Work on some of the “stick ‘em on the top” bits for a while. Ships are complex things to paint, and not simple builds. You are basically making several models then sticking them all together. This will take time, so let it!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yep, calm down, turn on, tune in, chill out.....it’s only paint on plastic. Nobody has been hurt.
Don’t quit though Bob Work on some of the “stick ‘em on the top” bits for a while. Ships are complex things to paint, and not simple builds. You are basically making several models then sticking them all together. This will take time, so let it!
SPOT ON Tim its just like my tiger several small models all to be built then assembeld to the main model
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks chaps. Will finish it:upside:.

God help me with a much newer Trumpeter;)

Found that Mike Ashey has a YT site, he does what he calls a tape up, he adds everything the deck and superstructure and tapes in place, this should show gaps and fit issues. By chance he does the Tamiya KGV, he found a few issues and where theres a gap which is hard to fix he covers with half round plastic strip, good idea? Some good pointers by him.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob. I would watch and read around the subject a bit to get technique hints. Not sure about the half round strip idea? Do you mean quarter round? If there were gaps like that I would try putty or standard plastic strip.

First Name
Carl
Bob dont you dare bin this remember this is your first attempt an as little Sue said to me Rome was'nt built in a day or yrs an i think you are bein to critical of your self Bob now remove your tape when the red is dry then an then paint the grey an when they are both dry then sand the ridge off if it annoys you an then tape up your boot line an remove when the black boot line is dry an hopefully it will be vallayay you've done it but remember when fitting boot line yellow maskin tape press it all down firmly
chris
Bob, I am thinking these builds are the prequel to the main event, the KGV or in my case The Hood. If I’m honest I expected from my previous experience of the Queen Mary that I’d do better this time around but a new ship, a new set of problems. Hopefully like yourself I’ll see the build through, it will be far from perfect but if nothing else we will have learnt a few new tricks from our mistakes.
who knows we may still turn this around..
Carl

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob. I would watch and read around the subject a bit to get technique hints. Not sure about the half round strip idea? Do you mean quarter round? If there were gaps like that I would try putty or standard plastic strip.
Sorry, yes 1/4 seemed to work fine, he also has 2 vids on fixing faults, useful for me, i pray!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, we all say ourselves, " this it's no good , this and that is wrong." That's what modelling is all about, look how you can build a StuG with out looking at the instructions. It's all about practice and what does practice make ?

If you don't finish this ship I'll sign you up for the 4 BO Club for life !

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All that talk of the wundin line woollies (who can remember all the built kits pegged to the waffle board behind the model section )tea rooms (trolly buses anybody?)don't put it up the back of the garage if were going to get nostalgic take it down the garden and blow it to pieces with a air rifle or a gat gun?think that what they were called like a spud gun but stronger spring and fired air gun pellets ,strewth looking back now I don't recall seeing any one eyed kids around our way probably because we thought home made bows and arrows were dangerous. Any way Bob good stuff nearly there. Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob, I am thinking these builds are the prequel to the main event, the KGV or in my case The Hood. If I’m honest I expected from my previous experience of the Queen Mary that I’d do better this time around but a new ship, a new set of problems. Hopefully like yourself I’ll see the build through, it will be far from perfect but if nothing else we will have learnt a few new tricks from our mistakes.
who knows we may still turn this around..
Carl
Very true Carl spot on

Carl i will need devine intervension lol

An Bob thats something you dont need as John said you can build a stug with your eyes shut so you are a good moddeller this is just something different thats all an i get problems on my TIGER build that some times dont turn out how i would like it too but i just think up another way of doin it an it normally pays off an Bob you are bein to criticaly of yourself SAY AFTER ME IM A GOOD MODDELLER AN I CAN BUILD THIS SHIP ITS ONLY A PRACTICE FOR THE BIGGEE KGV

Bob, we all say ourselves, " this it's no good , this and that is wrong." That's what modelling is all about, look how you can build a StuG with out looking at the instructions. It's all about practice and what does practice make ?

If you don't finish this ship I'll sign you up for the 4 BO Club for life !

AN remember what J/R says as he is spot on as well an there is a mild threat there lol remember Bob we are all behind you on this

chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
All that talk of the wundin line woollies (who can remember all the built kits pegged to the waffle board behind the model section )tea rooms (trolly buses anybody?)don't put it up the back of the garage if were going to get nostalgic take it down the garden and blow it to pieces with a air rifle or a gat gun?think that what they were called like a spud gun but stronger spring and fired air gun pellets ,strewth looking back now I don't recall seeing any one eyed kids around our way probably because we thought home made bows and arrows were dangerous. Any way Bob good stuff nearly there. Dave

AN WHAT Dave has said but not about blowin it to bits lol BUT GOOD STUFF YOU ARE NEARLY THERE so try an fininsh this ship an no matter what it looks like the point bein you built it :rolling: :rolling::smiling2:

chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hey, don’t worry, I’ve gone off topic so
Many times I can just about remember myself. This ones turning into a bit of an education .
Sadly for me I used some varnish which obviisly went on too runny which then run under the tape and left sticky shiny streaks at every spar it passed over, consequently I had to run it all off which trying to rub around tiny soars was not easy.
i e now sprayed a few coats of black to get the coverage back in and use as a base for the main hull colours and as the pin stripe itself. However, despite not being able to feel by hand the previous mess I can stll
See within the black paint marking from the disaster. Hopefully this will not show when the main hull colours are done.
View attachment 411818View attachment 411819
AN Carl you must be Defiant 911, an build yours also :thumb2: :smiling2:
chris