Live at the dock yard, me hearties!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well chaps before i start the KGV i am still wary of how well i will build it so , in the stash sorry shipyard i have this
20210111_160001.jpg

Very, very old but got it a cat charity fair for about £2! Been reading Mike Ashley free to download ship building books. Old but good to read!

So started by removing flash, lumps and bumps, the fit is terrible lol. Followed his advice by taping the hull and deck together and started to glue, will remove the deck and fit some card for strength and finish of the glueing, then add the deck

20210111_141830.jpg
20210111_141850.jpg
Me thinks i need some plastic to insert plus filler!
20210111_141835.jpg

Its age sure shows through, but for me ideal practice!

Off to watch the Onedin line, ( us oldies will remember )

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well chaps before i start the KGV i am still wary of how well i will build it so , in the stash sorry shipyard i have this
View attachment 410617

Very, very old but got it a cat charity fair for about £2! Been reading Mike Ashley free to download ship building books. Old but good to read!

So started by removing flash, lumps and bumps, the fit is terrible lol. Followed his advice by taping the hull and deck together and started to glue, will remove the deck and fit some card for strength and finish of the glueing, then add the deck

View attachment 410622
View attachment 410623
Me thinks i need some plastic to insert plus filler!
View attachment 410624

Its age sure shows through, but for me ideal practice!

Bob
AHOY there captain Bob comin alongside to board this model well it looks great an to see you start a ship are you sure there is not a stug hidden in that box lol but im lookin forward to seeing you build it an paint it
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
AHOY there captain Bob comin alongside to board this model well it looks great an to see you start a ship are you sure there is not a stug hidden in that box lol but im lookin forward to seeing you build it an paint it
chris
All aboard Chris, not a StuG in sight for now ! A lot to do to get anywhere near painting. Plan is to brush paint it and use up any similar paint colours, cheap skate lol
And....he’s off! Fit is awful though isn’t it ;) Looks like you need to take a sliver of off each side at the back to get it to fit! 1/600 is a proper boat scale as well.
Evening Tim, if i launched it with all thise gaps it would sink out of sight lol.

On the side the fit is very good but at bow and stern shocking. So a lot of fettling ( great word )

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
And....he’s off! Fit is awful though isn’t it ;) Looks like you need to take a sliver of off each side at the back to get it to fit! 1/600 is a proper boat scale as well.
YEA Bob as Tim said file it off a bit at the stern an then glue an clamp an its Bob's your uncle
chris

First Name
Tony

Bob

Love the Onedin Line series from the 1970s and have the DVDs in the collection. A dreadful ending for the Charlotte Rhodes schooner. After being left to rot in a dock at Amsterdam, an arson attack finished her off.
So many memories of these old Airfix kits - saving up my spends to buy in Woolies.

Attachments

• Onedin Line.jpg
    Onedin Line.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Love the Onedin Line series from the 1970s and have the DVDs in the collection. A dreadful ending for the Charlotte Rhodes schooner. After being left to rot in a dock at Amsterdam, an arson attack finished her off.
So many memories of these old Airfix kits - saving up my spends to buy in Woolies.
Me too, remember my lovely late father taking me to the famous Bud Morgan's model shop in Cardiff to buy me the Airfix B29 superfortress for my birthday followed by dinner in the Woolies cafe, lovely days!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Me too, remember my lovely late father taking me to the famous Bud Morgan's model shop in Cardiff to buy me the Airfix B29 superfortress for my birthday followed by dinner in the Woolies cafe, lovely days!
Yes, Bud Morgan was a good bloke, with a great shop in the Castle Arcade. Shame he had a withered arm - a tram ran over it when he was young.
I don't remember the Woolies cafe though, we used to have dinner in the British Home Stores cafeteria.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Pete, can remember how packed his shop was, it might have been BHS cafe, upstairs on Queen st?? I am old you know! Not sure if i ever saw Bud? Only went there on birthdays or xmas, there was a local toyshop on Crwys rd in Cathays who had a good stock of Airfix, lovely memories

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think you're a bit younger than me Bob! The Home Stores cafeteria (not cafe, it was self-service, quite a novelty then) was downstairs, on the corner of Queen St and The Friary. I don't remember a toyshop in Crwys Road - too far away for a Canton boy like me!
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Must have been Woolies then, not losing my marbles, yet!! Other side of the city! Can only remember Grimwades Fiat in Canton!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Grimwades were a second-hand dealer, an absolute Aladdin's cave of everything anyone could possibly want! I bought some records there, and a few tools. Did they become a Fiat dealer then?
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not them then! They are now Yapps In llanishen. Bugger

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

Right progress, added some plastic card on the inside to strengthen the joins, next fitted the deck, very good fit along the sides, small gap at the bow but big and horrible at the stern:unamused:

Few glue marks so need to use a smaller brush to apply glue. Made up the main turrets, barrells and there fit are horrible, i was expecting the three barrells to be on a frame but no seperate. No hole in the turret to locate the barrell, so had problems, had to cut an angle on the breech and left the ends as if i cut them down to tidy them up they would have been too short!

Started on the bridge tower or queen Annes mansions ( i think ), also the funnel.

20210113_134202.jpg
20210113_134101.jpg
The band is helping the horrible fit to set on the side of Nelson at the stern.

The superstructure is loose and will be painted on there own. Spending ages getting rid of flash or filling in sink marks.

I hope people do not use this as a first build and Airfix should no longer have the cheek to reissue this again!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL I dint beleive i would see this but the stug king has built a floaty an a very nice job of it so far keep at it boyo