Lockheed T33A 'checker'

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I reckon I can build this one in a day. . .

Lockheed-T33-A-checker-9.jpg

This is it! seven stages and about thirty pieces.

Miko (I'm off to limber up and do some pre build yoga! Ha! squeeze some tubes stir some paint fix a new blade in the Xacto!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Go!

checker.jpg

The sprue cutting has begun, lots of flash considering the age of the kit, the mold goes back a couple of decades before this early eighties pressing. No too much colour on this one, but I'm using Humbrol enamels, so drying time is critical!

Miko (against the clock!)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a very old, and American, kit — judging by the style of the instructions :smiling3: What make and age is it?

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
That looks like a very old, and American, kit — judging by the style of the instructions :smiling3: What make and age is it?

It's a Hasegawa 1/72 Lockheed T33A first tooled in 1969, and as written above under the photo this one is an early eighties pressing

snack.jpg

I'll just have this then I'll post progress pics

Miko (fighting the flash monster!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Deflashed and cleaned up the parts, considering there's just thirty I'm sure I can work out which bit goes where after taking from the sprues

Very little detail in the cockpit just rudimentary seats and instrument panels, not even a joystick! So best to get it as matte black as possible, the only contrast is the seats, not sure what colour the head boxes are, the instruction just say 'paint! So a Google is in order, the air intakes are blanked off so painted matt black to give it apparent depth.

Checker (4).jpg

These are the aluminium doors hatch covers etc, flat alunimium inside polished aluminum outside, main gear wheels came out quite good, matt black hubs dry brushed aluminium detailing and the omnipresent Revell 9 tyre black!Checker (5).jpg

Being a calibration aircraft it needs high visibility markings, first coat of orange applied

Checker (6).jpg

Miko (watching paint dry, again!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Thing goes together really well considering it's age and flash, but once cleaned up it's needs the slightest hint of filler.

I'm leaving the nose cone off for now to add ballast later, no one like a tail sitter (except warbird entusiasts!)

Checker (6).jpg

Now for a well deserved. . .

Checker (7).jpg

Miko (biscuits are one of my few vices!)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO Miko this should be finished today yea ? an i loved your pic of when you stopped for your kip lol an 10 past seven is that the time you got up wow what a lay in for you as im up near every morn at 5 am as cant sleep any time longer as lilley our white cat jumps up on the bed an wakes me up an gives me a gentle bite to say get up i want my dreammeis lol

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I wasn't happy with the Humbrol MC11 'orange facings' which I think is a Napoleonic figures colour?

So, out with the airbrush, the colour density isn't good, this is a result of at least ten coats!

The canopy is fixed with PVA white glue, this is so maybe at a later date I can remove it and improve the cockpit detailing

Checker (18).jpg

Miko (almost ready for top metal coat)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looking good considering its age and the work you have put into it. And eat some cheese with those biscuits - Wallace always reccomends a good cheddar....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking good considering its age and the work you have put into it. And eat some cheese with those biscuits - Wallace always reccomends a good cheddar....
But mike they look like rich tea dunkin biscuts as to put on wallaces cheeder chease you need to be crackers lol

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
But mike they look like rich tea dunkin biscuts as to put on wallaces cheeder chease you need to be crackers lol
Nope, dunkin is for the flat cap an whippet brigade, us southerners have a buscuit breaker (bit like a nut cracker) and take ours with tea and a knapkin....
And if you believe that load of old crumbs.....

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
And eat some cheese with those biscuits - Wallace always reccomends a good cheddar....

Wensleydale, surely? Ha!

Not sure I'll get this one done in 24hrs, I have to go out for a few hours soon.

Got the top coat on, very little contrast, what I'd usually do is mask off areas and spary with matt varnish, really helps with making it look more interesting.

The canopy needs a little more work, and then I need to get the landing gear on, or maybe decals first, so I don't get the wheels to fall off on the whole thing!

The tip tanks are incredibly bright! they look super oversized, but what do I know?

Checker (12).jpgChecker (13).jpg

Miko (decals first I think)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lookin Good Miko an to me them wing tanks look ok as if i remember they were fairly large but good modelin my freind
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH SHE looks great Miko very nice quick bit of modelin wish i could get on that fast on my big tomcat well done sir
chrisb