Long haul Scania 143H Tractor build Part 1

J

jono

\ said:
I have been working on the trailer for the Scania 142H long based chassi for some time now. So far this is where I am. I have finally added the side wind deflectors, which I painted black. I also toned down some of the weathering on the passenger side. Still have a little toning down near the windshield as well.
The trailer was scratch built and it is 90% complete. I have to add more details and a bit more subtle weathering around the trailer. I tried to make it look somewhat out dated by design but yet have a kinda modern feel to the rest of the overall look. I decided on the mix color combo; has the trailer, had been painted unprofessinally several times during its hard course life. Secondly, I wanted it to be different and stand out.

I am making the precast concrete slabs that will eventually be placed on the trailer when done..I am experimenting with various materials. The ones you see in the pics are made from posterboards. We will see what I end up using. The trailer has rest mounts for four precast slabs, which in turn can double up on each mount depending on thickness of the precast slab.

So I hope you like the trailer and the overall look of this tractor/trailer combo so far.

View attachment 140606

View attachment 140607

View attachment 140608

View attachment 140609

View attachment 140610

View attachment 140611

View attachment 140612

View attachment 140613

----------------------------

View attachment 140614

View attachment 140615

View attachment 140616

View attachment 140617

View attachment 140618

View attachment 140619

View attachment 140620

View attachment 140621

-------------------------------
Trailer looks Fantastic, so life like.

John.

First Name
Charles
Appreciate the positive feedback fellas. Glad you like the results so far. Just got to do a little more work on details and minor weathering, then I will call it done.

First Name
Charles
Thanks Steve. Since these pics I have since moved the electrical box towards the front. The trailer legs have also been moved to the front, underside of the trailer. Apparently it made the trailer too wide. EU trailer regulation. I will post pics later when I have done the loads for it.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
As I said before this this is blinking awesome. Really like the weathering you have achieved on this, the trailer only makes the whole vehicle look that much better

Really fantastic

Robert

First Name
Charles
Thank you again Robert. Much appreciated.

First Name
Charles
Hi guys. Here are the some pics of what was done to the trailer since the last time I posted. As mention before, I had removed the electrical box and support stands to the front of the trailer. I also added a fire extinguisher. Instead of concrete slabs I decided to go with steel slabs, Only two. I think I will build a third sheet. Why steel? Well. I saw a haul with several large steel plates being transported in a similar manner and thought I would go for the 'not-so-normal' look, instead. You know me. Different is my middle name. I know there are standard trailers for concrete slabs and steel plates and slabs. But I found out that certain companies, in rare instances, use by any means necessary, quick and unconventional methods in transporting goods, if time was of an essence. I too have seen weird setups that just proves to me that transport methods do differ. Now, if they do not adhere to the EU regulation code; then that's another issue all together.

The sheet of steel were made from cardboard. The chain tensioners were scratch built. I am contemplating building another short base tractor 2x4 tractor for this trailer. I already have one in mind. Not too sure. But I will build it and see if it suits it better. If not, I will stick to the one I already have.

------------------------

steel_slab_haul15_zpsy2l2hqob.jpg

steel_slab_haul14_zpsqxiskhbd.jpg

steel_slab_haul13_zpshrlgzngv.jpg

steel_slab_haul12_zps9hhbicnl.jpg

steel_slab_haul11_zps7r6n1s9m.jpg

steel_slab_haul10_zpskjbm7200.jpg

steel_slab_haul9_zpsu43hgzmj.jpg

steel_slab_haul8_zps2evd6bga.jpg

steel_slab_haul6a_zpssxeq5tng.jpg

steel_slab_haul7_zps1s5rt0sm.jpg

steel_slab_haul6_zpsqyrmjv5d.jpg

steel_slab_haul5_zpstpubsh8q.jpg

steel_slab_haul4_zpshmmpbayh.jpg

steel_slab_haul3_zpsvmylpbap.jpg

steel_slab_haul2_zpssqbydjga.jpg

steel_slab_haul_zpsmyadw8rr.jpg

F

Fenlander

You are indeed a trucking artist Charles, this is stunning.

First Name
Charles
Thanks again gents. Much appreciated. Please let me know of the truck forum you mentioned. I probably might know it but just in case. Thanks.

F

Fenlander

Not on any of these anymore. I used to be on the IPMS and another one . I did dabble with trucks but I never really got into it. All I have in the stash now are a couple of the early Bedford trucks an a started Opal Blitz.

Must admit, when I used to be on the forums, there seemed to be a bit of a downturn in interest in the UK for truck building. I really hope that it does keep going. As can be seen by your great work, truck modelling has it all and there are some really talented modellers out there. Is it more popular in Sweden?

http://www.24thscalemodeltruckforum.co.uk

http://scalemodcommunity.info/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=15

And of course, the IPMS UK board for trucks and commercial vehicles.

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/board/113/commercial-vehicles-trucks-buses-trams

First Name
Charles
Yes. They are more truck builders this end. I am already a member on those forums you listed. Thanks.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Not on any of these anymore. I used to be on the IPMS and another one . I did dabble with trucks but I never really got into it. All I have in the stash now are a couple of the early Bedford trucks an a started Opal Blitz.
Must admit, when I used to be on the forums, there seemed to be a bit of a downturn in interest in the UK for truck building. I really hope that it does keep going. As can be seen by your great work, truck modelling has it all and there are some really talented modellers out there. Is it more popular in Sweden?

http://www.24thscalemodeltruckforum.co.uk

http://scalemodcommunity.info/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=15

And of course, the IPMS UK board for trucks and commercial vehicles.

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/board/113/commercial-vehicles-trucks-buses-trams
I'm getting the hots for 1/24 heavy trucks. These forums look interesting. Thanks.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Appreciate the positive feedback fellas. Glad you like the results so far. Just got to do a little more work on details and minor weathering, then I will call it done.
As superb as your Part 1 pics.

I am practising rust at the moment. Your convincing mottled look at bottom left of one of the steel plates is interesting (pic shown below). How did you get this effect (if its not a secret)? Sputtering with a stiff brush?

nnn.jpg

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I'm getting the hots for 1/24 heavy trucks. These forums look interesting. Thanks.
Don't forget to share on here as well Steve ;)

First Name
Charles
\ said:
As superb as your Part 1 pics.
I am practising rust at the moment. Your convincing mottled look at bottom left of one of the steel plates is interesting (pic shown below). How did you get this effect (if its not a secret)? Sputtering with a stiff brush?

View attachment 142328
Sorry for the late reply. That mottled look was a result of the agents reacting to each other. After spraying the piece with matt varnish this random pattern appeared. I am working on a how to article on how i did these plates. I have gotten so many reponses asking how i achieved the look with cardboard. I have completed the text to the tutorial. Just need to do the process over with pics.

First Name
Charles
\ said:
Don't forget to share on here as well Steve ;)
Will do. I am still working on the tractor for this trailer, and later this will be put in a diorama.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Sorry for the late reply. That mottled look was a result of the agents reacting to each other. After spraying the piece with matt varnish this random pattern appeared. I am working on a how to article on how i did these plates. I have gotten so many reponses asking how i achieved the look with cardboard. I have completed the text to the tutorial. Just need to do the process over with pics.
YES! Please let us know.

Often its the reaction between coats that produces interesting effects. Looking at an old test piece (below), it has a reticulated look. I guess that the upper (green) coat was contracted in some way by the lower coat (rust red) while the upper coat was drying. The lower coat is Humbrol Clear Coat (a White Spirit based varnish) and the upper is Vallejo Model Color, which was applied after the lower coat was thoroughly dry. The reaction seems to have taken place when the upper coat, being wet, reacted with the lower coat.

The piece was a test of the salt method of showing rust. If the lower coat was some other colour this approach could be used for old peeling paint on a building.

Reticulated.jpg

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Briliant work weathering is great , great idea on tyre.