Longest Day Dio

S

SAS007

Hi all,

As I haven't been on for a while I thought I'd update my projects.

Here is a dio I done at the end of last year with the TAMIYA "Universal Carrier Mk3".

As soon as I saw it the movie "The Longest Day" came to mind . The scene is the Beach-master on Sword Beach (played by Kenneth Moore) when he tells some soldiers to move a Bren Gun Carrier up the beach as it's blocking the way. When the driver say's it won't start due to sea water the Beach-master tells him "My old mum used to say anything mechanical give it a damn good bang". He then hits the carrier and tells the driver to try again to which the engine starts.

So here is my rendition of the scene.

The base was made from polystyrene covered with a layer of tissue with a mixture of PVA glue and water.When dry I covered it with another layer of PVA glue and covered with fine sand.When It was almost dry I added the Universal Carrier and topped up the sand around it.

The figures are Tamiya's British Infantry On Patrol put together how I wanted them to look.The Beach-master and his dog are the Scale Link set that has the megaphone on a pole as well (but didn't use it).This was my first attempt at a Resin figure.The figures then had pins drilled and glued to the heels and placed in position before super gluing them in place.

The gunner was originally holding the Bren Gun but changed his position and gave him a good old cup of tea.

I added extras to the carrier just to use up some spare items I had in a box.I added a layer of clear at the back of the model to represent the sea.

If you have seen the movie you will notice I've even got the number on the side of the carrier. (Alot of pausing the movie)

I hope you like it

Steve C Jnr

F

Fenlander

A great recreation of the scene from the film. Great bit of cinematic cheese and a great diorama paying homage to it. Nice one.

D

dubster72

That's really good Steve, you get the feeling of that scene coming over really well. I do like how you've taken the time to reproduce the knobbly stick very well!

If you don't mind me saying, try giving the figures a light mist of matt coat, something like Vallejo matt coz they've a bit too much shine on them but that's a minor point & in no way detracts from an excellent dio.

Well done,

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi steve ,great looking scene. i love the way it tells its own story ,very animated, and the beach looks fab . well done cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Another cracking job Steve, you certainly have a eye for adding life to your creations, there is so much going on. Every time it's looked at something new can be found, such is the amount of work you have put in.

I especially like Mr. Moore's beard....spot on!!

Too much shine? Just tell people the lads have been up to their armpits in sea water trying to push the thing!! LOL

Very well done, more please!

Ron

R

Richy C

Love it , know the scene very well - spot on , as for the shinny uniforms I can see what Steve has done giving the boys the wet look on various areas of their uniforms.

nice one

Richy

D

dubster72

\ said:
Another cracking job Steve, you certainly have a eye for adding life to your creations, there is so much going on. Every time it's looked at something new can be found, such is the amount of work you have put in.I especially like Mr. Moore's beard....spot on!!

Too much shine? Just tell people the lads have been up to their armpits in sea water trying to push the thing!! LOL

Very well done, more please!

Ron
Just to clarify my point-the scene that Steve's depicted takes place quite high up the beach, away from the sea plus the last time I got wet, I don't recall my clothes looking shiny! As I said in my original post, it doesn't make the dio a bad one, far from it, but if people can't offer constructive comments to help others improve, then there's really no point in contributing is there? Or perhaps it's just me you have a problem with Ron? Let me know & I'll go elsewhere.

Patrick

S

SAS007

Thanks guys,

Patrick,

The figures look shiney due to the camera flash. I paint my models by hand with paint straight out of the tin but thanks for the constructive comments.

Steve C

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Just to clarify my point-the scene that Steve's depicted takes place quite high up the beach, away from the sea plus the last time I got wet, I don't recall my clothes looking shiny! As I said in my original post, it doesn't make the dio a bad one, far from it, but if people can't offer constructive comments to help others improve, then there's really no point in contributing is there? Or perhaps it's just me you have a problem with Ron? Let me know & I'll go elsewhere.Patrick
Hang on Patrick, all this is a bit over the top and very aggresive.

Rather than air your grievance towards me in public, would a P/M not have been more appropriate? I feel sure the members don't want to read such content from anybody!

What has brought this on? I truly don't understand the tone of your post.

My comments about the 'shine' were made as I hoped it would be accepted, a feeble attempt at a bit of humour. It was never intended as a dig at your contribution, which has always been of great value and well appreciated by all.

I am very sorry you have seen it in a different light from my intended input.

If you have been offended by the content then I offer my sincere apologies, and be assured that in future I will never ever post, in my eyes, a 'Humourous' vein again for fear of offending anyone else.

Sorry to bend your thread Steve, but I had no choice but to reply 'publicly' to Patrick's comments about me as he had done in the first instance.

Ron

M

Montyman

I've looked at lots of pics of models/dios etc and I've often seen shine on what should be matt surfaces. I think it's nearly always down to the lighting used rather than modelling technique. Colours are also affected by lighting. We may all be good modelmakers but indifferent photographers!