Looking for a Big U-Boat! - Help please

E

Ebob

I'm sculpting 28mm figures for a U-boat crew and I want a U-boat model to show them off.

I'm looking for a Big U-boat! I want it for a static display only - it doesn't have to float - (in fact I'm going to cut it off below sea level - I don't require any internal motors etc.

But it must be big! around 3 or 4ft in length. (anywhere between 1/48 and 1/60) compatible with figures roughly 1 inch high.

I've so far identified The Krick 1/60th VIIB - which is probably spot on - only a tad small - But I want to see if I can find just the shell - or maybe a non-runner - abandonned project.

I have also identified that 1/48th ones are out there.

Any help or pointers to other forums where I might post would be greatly appreciated. I am a competent model builder so I'm not wanting to pay more for one already made or anything - I want to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Ebob

www.ebobminiatures.com

ebob@ebobminiatures.com

E

Ebob

Hey Ebob! it's me Ebob.

I see noone else has replied in 6 months!

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1/60th scale Krick U-boat!

A

ajg141

Hi Ebob - any pictures? Couldn't get the link in your previous post to work. Probably my steam driven PC!

E

Ebob

Hi!

Not yet, it's on it's way to me from Austria as we speak! (I'm very excited though - been printing out plans of U-boats 1120mm long to see how big it will be!)

First of all I found several suppliers in the UK - all of whom had the basic kit (less all the motors and radio kit etc) priced at £240 + VAT and post etc.

So I was about to give it a miss. Then I found one in Holland for half price! £120 - in fact as soon as you look outside the UK, it seems to be half the price (why doesnt that surprise me)

Anyway - I was still considering the matter when a chance browse on Ebay threw this one up from an Ebay shop based in Austria - just £69! It was on Ebay for 10 days and no bids! so I just couldn't resist! post is only £13 also.

Then I investigated the additional radio kit ... £195 in the UK (no surprises there) - only £95 from my new friend in Austria!

So I shall see how I get on building the kit first - but I hope to get the full kit later.

I'm an experienced model maker (actually I sculpt figures - I want to make the crew standing on the top with binoculars etc)

but I haven't made a boat since I was a kid and never made anything radio controlled - so it's a new adventure for me.

I don't know if anyone can offer any advice regarding painting and colours - I was thinking of Tamiya spray paints for a job this size - do they do an authentic Kreigsmarine grey or will any mid-grey do? I don't know much about Navy. I've ordered 'Das Boot' on DVD (I want to do that black sword fish on the tower) and a book on U-boats for reference.

Ebob

www.ebobminiatures.com