Looking to build a WW1 tank with ‘simple’ tracks (not link-to-link). 1/35 scale, is there such an animal??

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
I’m looking for a WW1 tank kit but I would like rubber band type tracks so as not to spend an eternity putting link tracks together (also a higher chance of screwing them up, at my level). Does anybody know of such a tank kit, available in 1/35?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And this months winner of the longest thread title goes to................

LOL.

AS far as the separate link drama goes, I would think this type of track would be a good one to cut your teeth on as they are very simple. However from a practical point of view would be a bit over kill as the tracks sit flat and 'firm' around the hull.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And this months winner of the longest thread title goes to................
It’s got my vote :smiling3:

AS far as the separate link drama goes, I would think this type of track would be a good one to cut your teeth on as they are very simple.
Very likely, yes. As long as the kit provides them as simple plates rather than trying to mimic the construction of the real thing (twin bicycle-style chains with plates attached) these would probably be the ideal ones for separate-link track.

However from a practical point of view would be a bit over kill as the tracks sit flat and 'firm' around the hull.
I have to disagree with this one, though. As you can see on John’s model, the track plates of the Emhar track bend with the curve at the front and rear, making the plates obviously round. On the real tank, though, they very obviously form flat facets around that curve, as here on a Medium A Whippet:

track2.jpeg

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I’m looking for a WW1 tank kit but I would like rubber band type tracks so as not to spend an eternity putting link tracks together (also a higher chance of screwing them up, at my level). Does anybody know of such a tank kit, available in 1/35?
Tom,
I think you will be hard pushed to get a WW1 tank at the moment, due to the delays with deliveries from the Far East, been after one myself, the ebay Hong Kong trader is a bit sus, I ordered on Dec 6 and in March demanded a refund.
As for the tracks, the seperate link are really easy to assemble, and the cheat is you do not need to assemble them but can place them in position and the joints do not show.
As you do not seem worried about the interior then perhaps get hold of the Tamiya one that comes with a motor.
HTH, Mike.